Reddit isn't the landmind you think it is

silverwolfer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
Hey all thought I would do my inauguration post here on something helpful rather then asking for info.

What is Reddit?

Reddit is a message board , and link aggregator of the best sort. You know on twitter how you think hmm #news or #wholesomemes .

Replace the # for an /r/ and you got how communities are formed.

You have /r/news, /r/video , /r/cooking, /r/blackpepoletwitter and a bunch of others. A wide range of topics based on usually whatever the /r/ " word" is stating. Everything from local /r/austintx to /r/Australia for local chatter all the way up to /r/pokemongo and /r/talesfromyourserver for very specific topic ideas or coverage on something.

The way the "game" works on this site is this...

1: Read the subreddit (what every little /r/ is called locally on the site ) rules. Understand if link submissions are allowed or if everything has to be a text submisison ( what you are reading now would be considered a text submission. If you clicked on a link from say facebook to read this as an external site, that would be a link submission).

2. Find out what communities actually fit in with what content you are trying to make or has relation to. If you are a personality based content maker it will be harder for you to slip into this site. If you are a topic maker on let us say wood working or art tutorials you have /r/woodworking and /r/artlearning

3. Become a member of these communities. Even if you only post once or twice a day in the comment section of any of these various communities it helps. If you are only posting your creation and never bother to show up and interact in content that isn't yours. You will most likely be banned for self promoting.

3.1: Why is self promoting a sin here? Because it leads to spam. Everyone wants to become viral, and Reddit is one of the leading chargers of such things. Also folks want to be a part of a community not feel like someone used them to gain some monetized cash. So how do you survive this sin ?

1:10 rule, is the standard name of the game .

1 submission about yourself, versus 10 posts that have nothing to do with you and interact with that community overall. 12 posts in /r/texas will not cover you most the time if your making constant submissions in /r/videos. Infact some have automated bots now like /r/videos if you constantly only submit your stuff and only your stuff. You will CHANNEL, will be banned. Which means even if other folks share it, it will never show up which means you just choked a huge river of views because you didn't follow the rules.

4. So is reddit worth your time or should you just stick to twitter/facebook ?

That depends really on what you are, H2H2 and several personality driven channels have found success and a huge market from reddit. Several smaller reddit "personalities " have gained some loyalty from being content makers of the communities they are in rather then being the sole focus.

5. So what is the end lesson ?

If you want to use Reddit you need to become useful. Reddit is a vast consumer of original content that you could potentially supply, but remember to interact and give time to those that view you.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hi, welcome to the site. Nice post. Moved to the tutorials section. :)

silverwolfer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
Thanks, thought it would have fit the stratagy section. Sorry about that.

Reactions: Crown

ettio

Reaction score
As someone who uses Reddit everyday, I can not stress this enough. If you don't mind, I would add that even if you are useful, or even a personality like u/Gallowboob it still isn't a guarantee that your video wont be seen as spam there. But if it isn't seen as spam you could see a big burst in growth while your post lasts.

silverwolfer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
Ya yoi gotta becareful. I made one comment that was in a major thread using one of my videos as a counter.

I got 4,500 views and 20 new subscribers. This was before I monitized but it cut my 10,000 mark wait by a full 5 weeks if I had waited at my current progress times.

ettio

Reaction score
wow, thats alot. When I did I got about 180 views, but no subs.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i am just here to learn what a landmind is!

silverwolfer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
Landmine but for the mind. A term for folks who get mentally overly frustrated but otherwise lack clear markers on how to safely traverse something . ((Business powerword garbage jargon)

Reactions: Loki Doki

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
yep good guide. I've started collabs with a guy on reddit since we both post on the military history section of it. I've found that subcommunity really receptive to my videos. Nearly half of my traffic comes from it. I made a video 2 weeks ago and it has about 500 views because of it so it is a good sign. :D

silverwolfer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
yep good guide. I've started collabs with a guy on reddit since we both post on the military history section of it. I've found that subcommunity really receptive to my videos. Nearly half of my traffic comes from it. I made a video 2 weeks ago and it has about 500 views because of it so it is a good sign. :D
I just did one clever comment on BPT on how you shouldn't come into a job interview smelling of weed.

Got 4,300 views and 12 new subscribers