Reddit discussion for youtube

AngieAstalos

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone!
I've read a lot of articles about youtubers using reddit to drive traffic to their channels. However I've read that it can either end up going extremely well or it can end up like absolutely horrible causing lots of hate and so on. I personally have never used reddit, I've heard about it for a while but it didn't really spark any interest until I started my channel. :p

Some of you guys have seen my videos and they're sort of story time based or like random videos like the most recent one I posted called "Cartoon conspiracy theories" - basically I'm a "comedic" vlogger I could say.
Now I want to use reddit but I don't want to go in guns blazing and just post then get hated, banned and so on. :eek: I've also heard, now I don't know if this is correct but a lot of youtubers said that Reddit users can be quite mean I could say? I really don't know and I really don't want to offend anyone here or on reddit, that's why I'm seeking advice!

I know a little bit about it like that you have to use subreddits but like I have no idea which my channel would fit to, or videos, I can honestly say, I have no idea what I'd be doing and I don't want to annoy the reddit community and seem like an douche. :(

If you guys have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much! :wavespin:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^

Amphioen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Personally I haven't posted to reddit yet, but I've been reading about it. I think it's key to find the right subreddit for your content, to not spam and also not obviously self promote. Also ask the mods of the subreddit if posting videos is okay. Preferably you'd also built up some karma before posting videos and not solely post videos, but also be engaged in the community otherwise. Hopefully this is helpful!

zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First i got very difficult time to understand how the reddit karma system works. At the beginning, I was struggling too much in order get high karma. Now i understood that it all depends on the kind content that you want to post there and the location of your post. You have to post in the correct subreddit. Other wise, you have to handle the risk of getting minus karma. I think, the key is to post something that increase your karma and hence more traffic.

Marky Sparks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Reddit is a huge pain. Every subreddit has a ton of rules and other crap and you never get any substantial gains. At least I haven't. In my opinion sites like this one are a much better place to grow your channel

Henry Gallimore

I WANT TO DIE
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Throw yourself in the deep end and prepare yourself for negative feedback. Reddit can be kind and it can be very harsh. None the less, Reddit is considered the front page of the internet so I'd definitely recommend using it to publicize your videos. Spend some time lurking on Reddit and get used to it's format. Look around at different sub-reddits and find where you think it would be suitable to post your content. All the best with it!

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reddit is a cesspool of immature people. But once you are in it for the long run and are a supportive member you get positive results.

Reactions: Marky Sparks