Recycling OWN content?

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So this is something I assume won't be a problem, but I will set it up as a yes/no case.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I make ''travel montages'' of everywhere I go.
1x park / town / place of interest = 1 video.
I do have ambitious to make higher end videos, especially guides for each destination I live in.

Would I face any problems reusing the content from my ''montages'' into a travel guide where I reuse all videos of said destination and do a voiceover?

If yes, to what extend?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I reuse my ''montages/content'' several times?

Example: If I had a video called ''best beach wowow beach beach montage''. Could I reuse the clips in this video in a ''transformative'' way, into other video projects?
1. XXX travel guide
2. Top 7 beaches in XXX
3. Top 5 much visit places in XXX
4. 9 hidden gems of XXX.
5. Destination XXX FULL video (montage of montages)

Is there a limit on how I use my own content? At some point it would feel abusive?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my questions seems confusing, don't hesitate to ask for clarification, as I do tend to be scatterbrained.

Thanks alot.
- Daniel

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Is there a limit on how I use my own content? At some point it would feel abusive?
It's kind of a grey area and there's no clear cut answer as to what would be defined as "abusive" - but yeah there have been cases of channels getting terminated for re-use of their OWN content - many channels in the "kids" niche for example for re-uploading footage of counting objects by repackaging it with different meta-data.

I have no idea what Youtube's moderators check for on this but I tend to put themselves in their shoes and decide what common sense says - IMHO, if a user clicks on and watches all the videos on one channel, is the user going to get annoyed by seeing all the same content repackaged in slightly different ways? If the answer is yes, it's likely abusive.

Here's a link with some guidelines: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1311392#cqg

FawX

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What @Crown said is more or less what you can go by. Its not its you can't do it or shouldn't do it. Its just frowned upon really and looked at as a very "cheap" thing to do. But I fail to see anything wrong with using old clips or footage from a previous video as long as you clarify in the video or video description "The shots in this are from my previous video/visit to XXXXX". That way people know and are ready to see "the same" footage.

When it comes to how OFTEN you can do this I would consult common sense.

Reactions: Dave2017

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ive seen channels been taken down for duplication. (Reuse of own material) Regardless if you break it up / use it differently etc.
So I personally would not do it.

FawX

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ive seen channels been taken down for duplication. (Reuse of own material) Regardless if you break it up / use it differently etc.
So I personally would not do it.
So, you mean to tell me, that I have to go all the way back to Japan, go to the same location at the same place to get a 3 second clip for a video where I just mention my time there? Whatever channels were taken down were more than likely abusing the recycling aspect of it because I fail to see why I can't use a clip from my visit if I talk about it in a video.

Its not
recycling material, its referencing material.

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
In my case I want to use stuff from 5-15 videos and make a travel guide, with extra graphics, voice overs, practical information and in general add a lot of value to the material I already uploaded.

But it seems like there exists a lot of grey areas, ifs and buts etc.

I might have to run the risk.

MrBigKid

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’ve done it, I have videos and reviews about specific items, but then a few months down the road I created a montage of top 5 items to have, and used the footage from previous videos to display.
It maybe was a little cheap, but sometimes it might just pan out. Getting footage of footage you already have seems pointless for what I review ;)
I’d say go for it