Recording voice overs using iPhone voice memos or iMovies?

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The Rode recorder might do what I need it to do....So far so good! I'll keep you guys updated!

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can try a dedicated microphone, the kinds that are built into laptops usually aren't good. If you search for USB microphones you can find some as cheap as $50.

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I tried recording a voice over for my next video using iMovies and I think it was horrible lol. It just sounded off.

A saw a video where the youtube claimed to record her voice overs using her iPhone voice memos. I think it will sound weirder. Does anyone have advise about this?

Thanks!
We just attempted this exact thing in our most recent movie on our channel about a week in the life of my wife. It turned out pretty great imo! I did notice a few things (if I'm going to be hard on myself and this method):

1. The intro of the video sounds a bit "distant" compared to the rest of the video's voiceover...that has to do with the positioning of her iPhone. the intro was recorded with the iPhone sitting on a table in front of her, the rest of the voiceover she held it up to her face
  2. The voiceover throughout the video is crisp and worked great, but there are several moments where she sounds "breathy" if that makes sense. Probably due to holding the phone so close to her mouth while speaking.
Overall, I think it works great. I'm going to be experimenting soon with using the iPhone earbuds w/ Mic as a way to get audio while someone films me from further away (like a wireless mic setup on a budget lol).