Recording voice overs using iPhone voice memos or iMovies?

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I tried recording a voice over for my next video using iMovies and I think it was horrible lol. It just sounded off.

A saw a video where the youtube claimed to record her voice overs using her iPhone voice memos. I think it will sound weirder. Does anyone have advise about this?

Thanks!

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Try using a separate voice recorder available in the App Store for free, their are plenty. If not, your iPhone will suffice!

Luis Patino

I don't know
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
Another thing that could help is actually using a lapel microphone. You can find some pretty affordable ones on Amazon. But they could offer a better, clearer sound than your iPhone mic

Jamiemcg

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Another thing that could help is actually using a lapel microphone. You can find some pretty affordable ones on Amazon. But they could offer a better, clearer sound than your iPhone mic
If you don't happen to have a lav mic or are waiting for one to arrive, even using the set of headphones that came with your phone could mean improved audio quality in your recordings.

As for lav mics that are compatible with cell phones, the Rode Smartlav is one of the higher priced microphones, but may be worth a look if you're interested in such an investment. However, as Luis Patino suggested, there are a variety of cheaper options available on Amazon that you may want to check out.

Reactions: Annette Regina

Jimmajabba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer
I would personally invest in a decent quality usb mic (so as not to break that bank with a huge array of recording equipment) and then record onto a free DAW such as Reaper or Audacity. That way your production value will go way up with a fairly non expensive investment!
I recommend something like the Auna 900. Its cheap and is a good quality mic for the price in my opinion!

Jamiemcg

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would personally invest in a decent quality usb mic (so as not to break that bank with a huge array of recording equipment) and then record onto a free DAW such as Reaper or Audacity. That way your production value will go way up with a fairly non expensive investment!
I recommend something like the Auna 900. Its cheap and is a good quality mic for the price in my opinion!
As far as USB mics go, the Blue Yeti is a pretty good option to start with. It has several different recording modes/patterns (cardioid, stereo, omnidirectional, and bidirectional), so you can better pick up the sound you want in your recording and, to some extent, leave out the sound you don't.

Jimmajabba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
As far as USB mics go, the Blue Yeti is a pretty good option to start with. It has several different recording modes/patterns (cardioid, stereo, omnidirectional, and bidirectional), so you can better pick up the sound you want in your recording and, to some extent, leave out the sound you don't.
Blue yeti is also a good option. Polaroid patterns aside, it is better quality but is also more expensive if your buying new

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I downloaded the Rode recorder from the App Store. It's like 4 dollars and you can use a Lav mic with it. You can then sync your recordings to SoundCloud and Dropbox.

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow! So many options guys! I'm taking notes and will try the cheapest most effective means as of now. Just invested in some lighting equipment so I have to take it slow. Thanks all the same!

Jimmajabba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
i hope you find a method that suits you! Good luck!