Recording in a retail store (Canada specifically)

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
So my wife and I decided to make a little vlog and we went to get some snacks at a dollar store near our place. I was recording with my camera and not near any other customers or anything when the manager came up and asked me to turn the camera off which I had no problem with.

She then asked for my full name and phone number and told me it was a copyright infringement to be recording inside of retail stores.

Curious if anyone else has had this claim made while recording in public?

I wouldn't of had a problem with it either but she was very rude and pushy and it's not like I was making a scene or disturbing other customers, it was just my wife and I in the isle we were recording in.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info regarding this!

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Not copyright infringement you can censor any images or brands from your page and then you will be good to go, the manager was probably trying to scare you if anything.

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Stores are private places, if they don't want you to record you have to stop. As a rule, always ask for permission before. It's not copyright infringement though

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Not copyright infringement you can censor any images or brands from your page and then you will be good to go, the manager was probably trying to scare you if anything.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks!

Stores are private places, if they don't want you to record you have to stop. As a rule, always ask for permission before. It's not copyright infringement though
I usually do ask permission if I'm doing a larger shoot, for a vlog I wasn't too worried about it, and as soon as she asked me to stop I did.

She honestly was just being a you know what about the whole situation haha