Rebranding old channels?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey

So you know the figures of 'EVO' - Its in my signature.

I also have an automotive channel (MY original channel) with 6000 subs and I do upload sometimes and have recently been uploading more to it. I think I will leave this channel as it and continue to upload automotive content.

But I have a few other dormant channels that I would like to do something with. 2 more so than any of the others, because..

1. Henry Hoover channel - Nearly 1000 subs / 3000hours last 365 days - Only a few vids and nothing new for years.

2. Classical Music channel - Nearly 1000 subs / 4000hours last 365 days - Many vids / All with free to use Classical Music / Still picture background.

I used to earn good revenue from these channels until the changes happened.

Realistically neither of these channels are going to earn revenue again in their current guise.

So if I wanted to create a new channel - Would I be better off using one of these channels as a foundation to grow on?

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Here is a possible answer:

"no" new starts are always fresh ones.

I understand that revenue is the main reason but in terms of human logic and emotion (and perhaps machine learning curve) a new kid on the block is usually more promising that those we already know...

:D

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would always try to work with the channel that got subscribers allready. The channels you mention got and okay amount of subscribers (more than many here on Yttalk will ever get):) Try your new content out on the channels you got and see how it goes. That would be my advice anyways:)

ByeByeCubicle

Reaction score
Are you going to be adding value to those existing subs? After all, they clicked on subscribe because they liked something specific on your channel. I'd say start fresh, you know the sub growth formula.
Cheers,
ET

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I asked a YouTube certified person a few days ago the same question, I believe he has the 4 certifications needed plus he's the Co-Founder of the World's # 1 YouTube Gaming Network and this is what he told me...

It's just dumb to start a NEW channel from scratch if you already have one channel with some subs. There are tons of channels that they didn't start from 0, they rebranded their channel and started uploading different content. He took over different channels in the past and rebranded them, now they have thousands of subscribers. You already have a certain number of people subscribed to the channel and the ones that will watch your new content are the true fans. In his words he pretty much said,,, if your subscribers aren't giving you the views your channel deserves then change the content and look for something that will impact more people. Only true fans will support you, the rest of them aren't helping you or your channel even if they are subscribed. Inactive subscribers are worst than people unsubscribing IMO. 2018 YouTube only cares about CTR and AR so base your rebranded channel on that and see how it performs in comparison with your other channels

curiousflavor

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I re-branded my old channel. I only have 500 subscribers but ~450 of them were from my old channel from a decade ago. I'm almost positive they're all inactive accounts, or at least don't receive my notifications anymore.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’m currently going through a similar situation, except I’m debating if I should create a second channel or just upload that content on my main channel, of course I would still be uploading on my main channel even if I have a second channel:)

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
2018 YouTube only cares about CTR and AR so base your rebranded channel on that and see how it performs in comparison with your other channels
Sorta confident on CTR but what is AR?

CTR = Click Through Rate?
AR = ? Average retention?

Honest guess on both.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think it partly depends on what you want to change your content to. If you originally were uploading classical music and want to change to horror skits, maybe that would need a new channel lol. Some kids might have subscribed to the music channel and might become too frightened if creepy movies start popping up. :eek:

But if you are going from classical music to something less extreme like a top 5 channel, or even better would be something slightly related -- like music production ideas, then I think it'd probably be fine to use the old channel.

Many people may unsubscribe since the content would be different, but that's kind of a good thing -- otherwise they'd be dead subscribers. A lot of them probably won't unsubscribe, too, and some will probably like the new content. ^_^

I used to think of 1000 subscribers as a huge channel, but I now tend to think of how big a channel is based on the rate it's growing daily, not the total number of subscribers. I think rebranding will kill the channel's current momentum, but I'd imagine it would be easier to get the ball rolling again if you already have a small audience.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks all - I think I will recycle these old accounts. And as @KatyAdelson says; not change the content to an extreme opposite.
To be honest the idea I have for the classical music channel is a Biosphere/Ecosphere project (1 gallon water jugs with pond water/sea water and watching what happens) with Classical music still in the background.
The hoover channel more exteme to a Cola experiments channel. But I think the same subs could be interested. (Not like im switching from Child friendly content to Horror)

Reactions: KatyAdelson