Realizing that you are stagnating ...

Alan esb

Reaction score
My channel has now been active for about a year. Over the past year I have published about one video per week.

In the spring of 2016 my channel had some decent growth in views and subscribers. Since then I have got a decent amount of subscribers, but when I look at my analytics graphs the number of views are stagnating. My greatest view counts were in the spring and summer of 2016 and since then it has not reached the same heights.

Despite having double the number of subscribers it is clear that a lot of subscribers do not really watch the videos. I'm getting a fair amount of views from SEO but it is also obvious that a lot of these new viewers aren't subscribing, liking or commenting.

I have an idea that if I began publishing daily instead of weekly I might be able to give my channel a push to grow more. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to do this even if I wanted to as I make videos about a city where I don't live and only visit yearly. My end-goal with my channel is to relocate to this city and make more videos. I was intending to make youtube a secondary income to help with the relocation.

However, I don't want to relocate into poverty and failure. So I am slowly coming to the recognition that instead of relocating in 2017 I should probably wait another year. I haven't lost my passion for making videos. I find this hugely interesting and will gladly spend my holidays on this hobby.

I guess its true for most of us that we would love to do more with youtube but day to day reality doesn't allow it. In some other threads on this forum it has been mentioned that being a casual uploader is no longer enough to grow. Because it is getting more crowded people have to upload more frequently. Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. Some people just have what it takes and they take off like a rocket within a few months and never look back. Studying Socialblade and other stats it is rare to see stagnating channels suddenly take off. i guess that is just the reality of Youtube. Some people have success and take off - others stagnate. Of those who stagnate a lot just give up, some people keep deluding themselves that "their day will come" and the rest just content themselves with keeping their channel alive as a hobby because they enjoy it.

Last edited: