Reading out a passage from a book

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I'm a very big fan of this book and would love to read out loud a passage, only about a couple pages, and record myself, which I would later add music and images to.

I've just contacted the actual publisher by email to check, but was wondering what the consensus or at least opinions were on here about the matter. Cheers.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends on why you're doing it. If you are providing commentary on it, yes, that falls under fair use. If you are just reading it with no added content, then no, that is violating copyright, unless you get written permission.

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
It depends on why you're doing it. If you are providing commentary on it, yes, that falls under fair use. If you are just reading it with no added content, then no, that is violating copyright, unless you get written permission.
Yeah, I figured...

But then again the copyright lines are blurry for that sort of thing. What if I read just a page. Surely that'd go unnoticed, although not by-the-rule unnoticed. If I read 5 pages, but provided commentary, then perhaps it's fine. What if I read an entire chapter out loud plus the added comments, is that okay ? I'm not even sure YT really have the written perfectly set rules for that, and if they do, how well enforced they are at all. It's sort of play your luck, gamble. If the video somehow got big enough, 100k range, it would get enough attention that the publisher would get all agitated and send a copyright notice, 8 months later.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, I figured...

But then again the copyright lines are blurry for that sort of thing. What if I read just a page. Surely that'd go unnoticed, although not by-the-rule unnoticed. If I read 5 pages, but provided commentary, then perhaps it's fine. What if I read an entire chapter out loud plus the added comments, is that okay ? I'm not even sure YT really have the written perfectly set rules for that, and if they do, how well enforced they are at all. It's sort of play your luck, gamble. If the video somehow got big enough, 100k range, it would get enough attention that the publisher would get all agitated and send a copyright notice, 8 months later.
Honestly, the only place any of that can be decided is in a court of law. YouTube will never side with you over fair use. You do what you do and you take your chances. If the publisher wants to claim the video or have it taken down, they will.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
As I'm sure you're aware, all books usually have the following copyright notice on the first page:

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, stored in a database and / or published in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

I've bolded the important bits. :)

You did the right thing in asking the publisher for permission. It's the only way forward.

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
As I'm sure you're aware, all books usually have the following copyright notice on the first page:

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, stored in a database and / or published in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

I've bolded the important bits. :)

You did the right thing in asking the publisher for permission. It's the only way forward.
Yes I'm aware of that. That being said, there are as mentioned plenty of channels that'll infringe upon the written rule, but it all depends on what extent they do that to. It's difficult to know what you can risk, what you can't, and where the line is drawn sometimes.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It's difficult to know what you can risk, what you can't, and where the line is drawn sometimes.

Well the simplest solution is to ask for permission for what you're trying to do and if they say no, don't do it.

As @Cephus mentioned, ignore what other people are doing. By definition, you only see the channels and videos that haven't been removed. In other words, haven't been caught (yet). What you don't see is the thousands of other channels that get terminated.

Reactions: Cephus

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I actually agree with both of you. It's more a question of time (haven't been caught *yet*), than anything else. It's just a bit difficult to maneuver, as ideas spontaneously pop up in our minds, and there's a real incentive to try the idea out, but then there's the legal matter that seems to hinder those ideas.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I actually agree with both of you. It's more a question of time (haven't been caught *yet*), than anything else. It's just a bit difficult to maneuver, as ideas spontaneously pop up in our minds, and there's a real incentive to try the idea out, but then there's the legal matter that seems to hinder those ideas.
Just because you have ideas doesn't make them good ideas. Unfortunately, everyone wants to maximize profit while minimizing work and reality rarely works that way. Just because someone wants to do something doesn't mean they can.