Reading a newspaper in a monetized video

TimBarnumComedy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I want to monetize my next video, which will be the first in a series. In it I will be reading a newspaper. Will YouTube allow that or not? Keep in mind this will be my first monetized video, so I'm really hoping things go smoothly. Should I cover up the name of the newspaper or anything?

I plan on looking at the rules on YouTube, but just figured I'd ask the forum, too.

Reactions: itsameray

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I want to monetize my next video, which will be the first in a series. In it I will be reading a newspaper. Will YouTube allow that or not? Keep in mind this will be my first monetized video, so I'm really hoping things go smoothly. Should I cover up the name of the newspaper or anything?

I plan on looking at the rules on YouTube, but just figured I'd ask the forum, too.
You are doing news....it's funny news but still news. Because of that you have more rights to show things under fair use. As long your reporting on it you should be fine...and besides it's just a news paper. I have sports and movie pictures in the background of my videos and they monetize those. I would make sure at the end of your show though to list whatever you use.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Either do as Ray said or make your own newspaper prop, Im not fully sure how you could make one, perhaps in Photoshop do some dummy text etc, printing one could be a pain though. You could cover up the logo or any pictures and make sure the text is obscured so you dont have any trouble.

TimBarnumComedy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You are doing news....it's funny news but still news. Because of that you have more rights to show things under fair use. As long your reporting on it you should be fine...and besides it's just a news paper. I have sports and movie pictures in the background of my videos and they monetize those. I would make sure at the end of your show though to list whatever you use.
Thanks Ray. I work at a newspaper and am familiar with fair use, but I was not sure if YouTube was more strict about it. I will list what I use, mostly because they will be Michigan newspapers that I want to get some more popularity, even if it is only a few hundred people who see it (hoepfully more!).

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I honestly wouldn't worry to much about it. If anything, it's advertisement for the news paper. But if you wish to be worry free, then make your own paper.

Reactions: Michael