READ THIS before joining an MCN

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
There have been many many posts of people stuck in contracts with youtube networks. So I thought I'd make this.

Please be aware that:
  1. Many of these companies hire people to spam these invitation messages to ANY youtubers. They try to make you feel like a very special creator that they have personally invited, but it's not completely true
  2. You are paying them for a service. they take a cut, it's as simple as that. Some networks (I have been approached by dozens of these) will try and word things so it seems like "we take a lower cut than google does!" Which at first sounds great. but the truth is that they don't replace google and take their cut instead. They actually take their 'smaller cut' AFTER google has taken their cut. for example. if they boast that they only take 20%, that's 20% of the 45% (or whatever it is you get from google) that you usually get paid from adsense.
  3. Once you sign a contract, you are stuck in that contract for as long as it says. It doesn't matter if you misread something, it doesn't matter if its not what you originally hoped for, unless for very extreme circumstances, you are locked in until the contract releases, no iffs and no butts.
  4. You are sure, that what these networks offer you as 'bonuses' are worth the money you give them. Some offer advertisement, some offer to build you a website, or access to sound effects and music etc. Remember. many of these things can be achieved for free, so make sure this is definitely something you need, and are willing to pay for.
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
Networks spokes persons are friendly and helpful for the most part, and will answer any questions you have. Take some time to ask them about payment, when the contract ends, what they offer, etc. Get them to show examples and proof of what they say.

And don't forget to ask a couple of people who have been using that particular network for their experiences.

This is not to bash networks at all, or put people off, but rather try and avoid people getting locked into contracts they don't want/need. If the network benefits you, go for it, but don't ever rush into anything.

Splinter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Honestly, i can´t even understand why anybody would join a network. Honestly. You´re paying for what? Promotion? They aren´t going to promote you. Music? You can get music for free on several different websites. You don´t need to pay for it. "Tools"? I don´t know exactly what tools would that be, but i doubt they´re worth giving away my adsense account and losing my freedom due to contract obligations .

GamersName

String_not_found
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Honestly, i can´t even understand why anybody would join a network. Honestly. You´re paying for what? Promotion? They aren´t going to promote you. Music? You can get music for free on several different websites. You don´t need to pay for it. "Tools"? I don´t know exactly what tools would that be, but i doubt they´re worth giving away my adsense account and losing my freedom due to contract obligations .
You can't actually monetize videos by default in some countries without joining mcn or getting partnership invitation from YouTube.

Reactions: Lightsen
C

Caber

Music? You can get music for free on several different websites.
Just want to mention that the actual quality of the music/sound effects does play a role in that. I may be able to get free music from several different website, but I could also be getting much higher quality music as well. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Rails2Revolution

Splinter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
You can't actually monetize videos by default in some countries without joining mcn or getting partnership invitation from YouTube.
That´s a different story. What countries, btw?

Just want to mention that the actual quality of the music/sound effects does play a role in that. I may be able to get free music from several different website, but I could also be getting much higher quality music as well. Just my two cents.
Most of the people i follow on YT use music and sound effects that are available for free. Some of them are pretty big Youtubers. So, apparently the free stuff is good enough for them. And i´m not really sure that what a MCN offers you is actually better. That´s up for debate.You would be surprised with how much stuff you can get for free. And even if what a MCN offers is better, is it really worth paying a percentage of what you earn and losing your Adsense account?

C

Caber

That´s a different story. What countries, btw?

Most of the people i follow on YT use music and sound effects that are available for free. Some of them are pretty big Youtubers. So, apparently the free stuff is good enough for them. And i´m not really sure that what a MCN offers you is actually better. That´s up for debate.You would be surprised with how much stuff you can get for free. And even if what a MCN offers is better, is it really worth paying a percentage of what you earn and losing your Adsense account?
Good enough doesn't mean you shouldn't get what's better. Honestly, I don't really care for the money all too much. No matter what I'm still only making about a dollar or two a month, so what's the point? Getting licenses to expand my variety of music I can use seems to be worth more than that.

Splinter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Good enough doesn't mean you shouldn't get what's better. Honestly, I don't really care for the money all too much. No matter what I'm still only making about a dollar or two a month, so what's the point? Getting licenses to expand my variety of music I can use seems to be worth more than that.
Sometimes what´s better isn´t worth the price. And again, the whole "being better" thing is up for debate. It´s not like it´s a FACT.

C

Caber

Sometimes what´s better isn´t worth the price. And again, the whole "being better" thing is up for debate. It´s not like it´s a FACT.
Personally, I think that sacrificing half a dollar or so a month is definitely worth the price for me. Anyways, I guess everyone has their own separate opinion on the matter.

Reactions: Sullygaming