Reaching broader audience

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm Portuguese but I'd like my videos to reach other people too, like UK and USA. But the thing is, and since I'm doing comedy sketches, it's not possible to do it in English because it's very difficult to do it fluently, so that is out of equation.

Then I feel that do it in Portuguese while using English subtitles it's kinda weak for that and people move away when they realize that it's not spoken in English, don't you think? At least that is what I feel, but I don't think I have other option but that one.

Besides having everything in English (titles, descriptions, tags etc) what would you guys do? Using native language in videos with English subtitles?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi Phiul, I understand there is a much bigger potential audience for US and UK but it may not be the best way forward. I'm just thinking that I really hate it when i search for something, and i get youtube search returns with English title, and then i go to watch it and its foreign, or foreign with subs. Makes me feel a bit like i've been click baited and the end result is i don't stay and watch. That means if there are lots of grumpies like me your videos will get really tiny audience retention which which have a negative affect on your youtube search placement. If i was you I'm embrace my Portuguese audience. Good luck anyways

Reactions: Dave2017

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I understand there is a much bigger potential audience for US and UK but it may not be the best way forward. I
I agree with UhoohExtra on this. Im not sure that this is the way to do it. Of course there is a bigger potential in US/UK but most people would expect that you speak english (or at least subtitles) with titles/description and tags like that. Foccus on your Portuguese audience and maybe improve your english skills for future videos:)

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To reach English speaking countries you would have to set your SEO in English.
But if your video is not in English it will fall. Personally I would keep to Portugese speaking countries.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Lately i did youtube searches for tech videos and youtube is almost unusable as it is completly littered with indian speaking videos that had english titles for example. Its not a good user experience.

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thank you guys.

That's exactly what I thought, when I see something all written in English but spoken in different language, I also don't watch it for too long.
I understand what you guys are saying about only trying the audience here, but I'm still trying to figure out a way to do it to other countries too, without a single Portuguese word.

Phiul

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hello again people,

One more thing related to this topic: would you also feel "cheated" if dialogue was dubbed in English?

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I agree with everyone else on here. I absolutely hate when a title and description are in English but when I click on it the actual video is another language. Like others have stated I feel click baited and immediately click off the video (usually leaving a dislike). I think you should just focus on Portuguese speaking countries when you first start off. Or if you REALLY want to hit English speaking countries put in your title “English subtitles” or something along those lines so English speakers KNOW right off the bat that the audio won’t be in English but at least they can read what you’re saying. Or you could possibly have someone who is more fluent in English dub over your videos or use the limited English you do know and dub over it yourself.[DOUBLEPOST=1526408589,1526408511][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hello again people,

One more thing related to this topic: would you also feel "cheated" if dialogue was dubbed in English?
Nope! I personally would not. To be sure people aren’t feeling cheated you could put “English dubbed” in the title or description if you really wanted to, but I think that’s a really good idea.

aliceromy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i watch Youtube videos in other languages, but only if they have very good subtitles/captions and only if the captions automatically load. i don't know if you're aware of this but if you put yt:cc=on in your tags then closed captions should automatically start for anyone who watches your videos.

i do agree with everyone else though it would be better to focus on Portugese speaking demographic, the amount of people clicking off your videos could harm your channel.