Re-make old videos?

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would like to get people's thoughts on re-making old videos? I am only a 4 month old YouTuber but even in this short time, my old videos aren't as good from a production and presentation value standpoint.

I wouldn't think of re-making a video now, but in the near future, it would definitely be on the cards, as I cover some good subject matter, but videos don't look (or sound) great.

Should I re-make old videos with improved presentation and production? What are the benefits? What are the negatives? Has anybody done this before?

Thanks,
Darren

Diversified Unison

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Other
I think re-creating older videos are kind of waste of time. You'll never be satisfied coz everyday you are improving. Even if you go ahead and re-create you'll still ask the same question after a year lol. If you check big youtubers they still have their older videos and honestly if you watch them you'll laugh. So my advise will be to move forward and keep on improving. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think re-creating older videos are kind of waste of time. You'll never be satisfied coz everyday you are improving. Even if you go ahead and re-create you'll still ask the same question after a year lol. If you check big youtubers they still have their older videos and honestly if you watch them you'll laugh. So my advise will be to move forward and keep on improving. Hope this helps. Cheers!
Thanks for the advice! Big YouTubers do indeed keep their old stuff. I think that answers my question.

Reactions: Diversified Unison

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I redo videos on a regular basis. You can either delete the original and retend it never happened. Or just keep it for its own views. Or name your newest version '2.0' or similar.
I have redone big videos assuming the newer one will do even better and it bombs. Ive also just redone old videos that no one watched and have done really well 2nd time round.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I redo videos on a regular basis. You can either delete the original and retend it never happened. Or just keep it for its own views. Or name your newest version '2.0' or similar.
I have redone big videos assuming the newer one will do even better and it bombs. Ive also just redone old videos that no one watched and have done really well 2nd time round.
That's interesting. It's easy to assume that your new videos will do better, but it you're seeing that sometimes they bomb, then it's not as clear cut as I first thought! I think for now, I won't do any remakes. I am still quite new at this, so I'll keep creating new stuff and revisit the idea. Thanks!

DawnDawn

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you think about it its more like a time capsule. In one years time I went from this to this. You can even make a tutorial from the older videos. And do something like how I changed my lighting how I changed my video quality. There is always something you can take from the past and bring it into the present.

The more views you get the better with youtube. But if you have poor quality videos and audio then you wont get much for views. But as long as you say what you want to say and show what you want to show that's the key point. Just do better with the newer videos and people will see how far you have come.

Even if you do a 2.0 video you can still keep your older videos. All you have to do is say something like "I was going through a few of my older videos the other day and noticed that this video was a bit hard to see or hear so I decided to make a updat3ed version with the same product or thing in mind and also am giving more details in the this video." Tell the viewers of the newer video about the past video and tell them you are not at your best in that video. And tell them this current one is going to be better and more detailed.

I personally think people that tell you in advance of what to expect will help the viewers out more and the youtuber as a whole.

After all you don't want to tell some one something like this "I have about 10 cellphone cases for my android device pictured here." and only have 3. People can see what is going on in the image just by counting. After all the better your videos get from the time you start the more people will think well that video was better then the first one and hes making videos based on Example "coloring in coloring books and I enjoy coloring in coloring books" maybe I should subscribe and watch more videos to see how well he dose.

Just because you don;t think there that good dose not mean people can get more from it then you think. After all the more people that see you are getting better the better it is for you and your channel.

I know this was a bit long winded but I hope I helped. You and other readers of this comment and post.

MrYorkiesWorld

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally I would do what other members have rightfully said here - use your old videos as a way of tracking your progress. You'll be able to look back in a year or so and see how much you've improved which I think is a great way to monitor your overall progress in video making and editing etc...

If you re-make older videos, essentially you're wasting your time. You could be spending that time thinking of new video ideas and focusing on improving rather than going backwards and covering the same thing multiple times.

In short, I wouldn't worry about re-making old videos - use them as a progress tracker!

Good luck!
--Yorkie