RAW Video Post Production - MLV to DNG

Pedro Nascimento

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello to you all

By the title of the video you already know that I shoot RAW video.
1 - So usually I shoot raw video on my Canon 5D Mark III using Magic Lantern, the video is saved on my card as MLV.
2 - Then using MLRawViewer v1.3.3 I convert the MLV video to DNG stills.
3 - Then on Adobe After Effects I open all the stills in a sequence of pictures and I edit all at once in Adobe Camera Raw inside After Effects.
4 - Export everything in ProRes 4444
5 - After oing this for all my recorded videos and I'm ready to start making my travel video in Adobe Premiere Pro

This was just for you to know my workflow, but I am having an issue on step 2.
In MLRawViewer I have the option to export it in C-Log profile, I choose that option but when I export the DNG stills they come normal with the saturation up and high in contrast.

Is that option for exporting in MOV format only? If not how can I export DNG with C-Log profile?

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi there, could you please tell me what did you choose to record your footage this way? Is it time consuming ? What are the advantages? I have canon rebel with Magic Lantern I used to have more features on my camera.

Pedro Nascimento

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi there, could you please tell me what did you choose to record your footage this way? Is it time consuming ? What are the advantages? I have canon rebel with Magic Lantern I used to have more features on my camera.
Why I choose it?
I travel the world, and after shooting my videos and coming back home for editing, I know I can recover any mistakes done shooting and I don't have to fly back to that country to shoot that 5 second video again.

Is it time consuming?
Well... It is! A lot! Specially in the begging when everything is new and you are trying to get your workflow right, but nowadays I am used to it so its fine for me and the quality I get out of it its totally worth it.

Advantages?
Shooting JPEG images is one thing, shooting RAW images is another level.
Capturing an image in RAW you are capturing all the image data, and because there is no image compression you can produce higher quality images and be able to correct problems that in JPEG would be unrecoverable. Shooting RAW video give you the highest level of quality you can have in your camera, non destructive editing, efficient color correcting and color grading.

Now the question you need to ask yourself is: Is it worth it for you? Do you need a RAW video?
If you're taking pictures or videos just to keep it to yourself and save in a hard drive for just for looking at it later on, RAW is not worth it.
If you have a reason why you have/should shoot in RAW, you might as well do it.

Reactions: MostShockingEP