Ranking Higher on YouTube Search than Videos With Millions of views?

Refresh

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a real noob when it comes to how YouTube works, so I was wondering is this image correct?
I went onto another device that I have never logged into my YouTube account to remove any bias, however, I am not sure if this is done due to my Internet usage and YouTube itself.

So is this correct? Is my video actually being recommended above other YouTube videos that have millions of views? Because this doesn't feel right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RayHardnick

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
It's right, it's all about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), allowing your video to rank at a certain level, if you aren't familiar with SEO, I suggest doing some research!

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
A new video always gets 7 days of promotion above others but if it doesn’t perform then to the bottom it goes. I’ve found the views from search useless unless you can rank 1st on single common words. Get recommended and on the homepage and you’ll get somewhere. When people you don’t know start commenting, that’s when you know it’s working

Reactions: videoeditgr

Refresh

Reaction score
It's right, it's all about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), allowing your video to rank at a certain level, if you aren't familiar with SEO, I suggest doing some research!
I'll look into it more, thank you!

A new video always gets 7 days of promotion above others but if it doesn’t perform then to the bottom it goes. I’ve found the views from search useless unless you can rank 1st on single common words. Get recommended and on the homepage and you’ll get somewhere. When people you don’t know start commenting, that’s when you know it’s working
Unfortunately, I went with a topic long dead on my video just to test the water, so I doubt I'll get much attraction. My latest video though, hopefully, something will come from it. Doing a lot of research into this SEO.

Thank you to both of you for clarifying this, it really helps! :)[DOUBLEPOST=1532351262,1532351237][/DOUBLEPOST]
HOME
  • VIDEO
  • PLAY
  • ABOUT
  • CHENAL
  • ACCOUNT
  • UDS £250,00

Sorry I have no idea what you mean. :(

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So just to get a little more specific, one of the reasons your video is ranking so high for that search phrase is because you have the exact phrase in your title, while the other videos in that picture do not have the exact phrase. The word I commonly hear to describe this is "relevancy". You want to have as much relevancy as possible for the search phrase you target, so you want to have the exact search term in both your title and description if possible. Obviously for the description you need to work it into a sentence that sounds natural. Then also put it in your tags if it's not already there.

It's not going to always put you at the top, as you can see there are still videos above yours that are in theory not as relevant, but it helps to target your audience more exactly. Especially if the topic has very little relevant competition it can give you a big boost. It's just one factor that goes into video ranking, but it's a very important one for smaller channels because they need to make up for not having the stats to rank, so if YouTube thinks that you have the exact video the person was trying to search for then it will boost your ranking.

Reactions: Crown and Refresh

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I've noticed that using single word tags makes you rank lower. It can be helpful to use a few different words within one tag to help score higher when being pulled up in a search. So take some of your single word tags, and then also combine them into one tag.

Ex.

LEGO, Unboxing, minifigures.

This could be combined to make the tag Unboxing LEGO minifigures as one tag.

Reactions: OrbitGuy