Questions for Let's Players: Length of Video vs. Number of Videos

MiketheDbacker26

Let's Player
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So is it better to upload 40 episodes of a Let's Play if the parts are 20 minutes, or 80 episodes of a Let's Play is the parts are 10 minutes? What's better for a younger channel?

I always thought it was the 2nd, since 10 minutes is less time, but a new person finding 80 episodes to watch of a new guy is intimidating if he doesn't have a good resume sub-wise or view-wise already. What do you guys think?

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Many and short, because some people can't keep their interest up if the video is too long.

Reactions: ForeverAlonePrick

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
^^^
This. YouTube promotes videos by audience retention. If I start watching your episode 1, and it's "episode 1 part 1 and 2", then if I get bored at the beginning and leave towards the beginning, that won't affect the retention of the second part. It'll be easier if you have shorter videos. Do that.

Reactions: MiketheDbacker26

BlueStreakcomms

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
yeah definetly short videos , then when you get a bigger audience you can start doing like 20 min videos , because people will actually sit down for that .

Truefolder

Indie games enthusiast
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say it depends, and depends on a lot of things: how good is the content, how good are YOU at presenting it, is the viewer watching because of YOU or because of the content, etc.

I used to like Tobuscus' commentating (for about 2 weeks), and I absolutely HATED that he made 10min videos. I would much rather he would've done at least 30min ones. Then again, there are some YouTubers that make 20min videos, and I can't stand listening to them for such a long period of time. Totalbiscuit is one of the Tubers I enjoy watching these days once in a while, and I gotta say his format is usually perfect - around 20min, more or less.

So, as I said before - it depends. Watch your audience, see what they like.

Lawlz

I has it :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
10 minutes and 80 episodes are the best for a young channel :) Yu can do 20 minute episodes when yu have a decent amount of subs ;)

ChillNation

Say Hi everybody
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
So is it better to upload 40 episodes of a Let's Play if the parts are 20 minutes, or 80 episodes of a Let's Play is the parts are 10 minutes? What's better for a younger channel?

I always thought it was the 2nd, since 10 minutes is less time, but a new person finding 80 episodes to watch of a new guy is intimidating if he doesn't have a good resume sub-wise or view-wise already. What do you guys think?
More short videos until you get bigger then you can start increasing video length time. Right now I upload 6 - 12 minute videos but say next year maybe 10 - 20 minute videos.

bwochinski

Gaming and Goofing
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
I'd say try to aim for 10-15 minutes, and towards the shorter end if possible. Of course my own channel doesn't really follow this.
Some games also have better natural breaks than others, and I prefer to go with the flow of the game if it works out.