Questions about Creative Commons videos

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm very sorry, @GeekyNet, but you are wrong. There are at least 4 levels of Creative Commons License, and each one has different permissions attached to it. I think everyone here who intends to attempt to respond to this thread should go to the official Creative Commons website, and read about the different types of CC license available before doing so. Site is linked below.
I'm sorry to say this, but actually I am right. YouTube only has one level of Creative Commons, and once you use it you are granting anyone on YouTube permission to edit or reuse your video, even in its entirety. support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468

I understand Creative Commons licenses, but YouTube doesn't distinguish between the 4 levels described on the official website for CC.
You either choose Creative Commons-Attribution or you choose the Standard YouTube License, and if you choose CC you are giving people permission to use the video in its entirety, or for editing.

In fact, here is the official definition of CC-BY (Also known as Creative Commons - Attribution) on the official CC website that you provided: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

As you can see there, they literally say that anyone can:
  • Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • for any purpose, even commercially.
What that means is that you can use the video in its entirety (share/copy/redistribute), or edit (adapt/remix/transform/build upon), AND monetize it.

Thanks for your reply, but I am afraid you are mistaken.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I'm sorry to say this, but actually I am right. YouTube only has one level of Creative Commons, and once you use it you are granting anyone on YouTube permission to edit or reuse your video, even in its entirety. support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468

I understand Creative Commons licenses, but YouTube doesn't distinguish between the 4 levels described on the official website for CC.
You either choose Creative Commons-Attribution or you choose the Standard YouTube License, and if you choose CC you are giving people permission to use the video in its entirety, or for editing.

In fact, here is the official definition of CC-BY (Also known as Creative Commons - Attribution) on the official CC website that you provided: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

As you can see there, they literally say that anyone can:
What that means is that you can use the video in its entirety (share/copy/redistribute), or edit (adapt/remix/transform/build upon), AND monetize it.

Thanks for your reply, but I am afraid you are mistaken.
Proof of the above quoted, please; as I don't see anything regarding monetisation at the link you provided. "Even commercially" could come into question where screenshots involving software functionality is concerned; look up "software screen captures in videos".

Last edited:

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Proof of the above quoted, please.
The proof is in the links.

You are free to:
  • The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
The 3rd bulletpoint on the CC site says you can share, copy, edit, etc for any purpose, even commercially. Monetizing falls under commercial use, so monetizing a re-uploaded CC video is fine.

support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468
"YouTube allows users to mark their videos with a Creative Commons CC BY license."
They do not allow you to use the other 3 Creative Commons licenses.

This link here is the definition of a CC BY license, on the official CC website: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
"You are free to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, remix, transform, and build upon the material, for any purpose, even commercially. The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms. You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made."

As you can see, you can edit or reuse any Creative Commons video on YouTube because the only license available for CC is a CC BY license, which is defined as "you can do anything with the content, but you must give credit".

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
You replied before I could finish my edit, I'm afraid. I could be wrong; but I think the additional YT Rule regarding screen shots from commercial software, which might void such a video's eligibility for the CC licence in the first place must be taken into account. You may have just uncovered a loophole which needs to be reported to YouTube Admin.

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You replied before I could finish my edit, I'm afraid. I could be wrong; but I think the additional YT Rule regarding screen shots from commercial software, which might void such a video's eligibility for the CC licence in the first place must be taken into account. You may have just uncovered a loophole which needs to be reported to YouTube Admin.
It's not a loophole. If the original uploader had screenshots/videos of commercial software that they don't have licensing rights for, then they can't actually use a Creative Commons license. So yeah, I agree with you on this. I think a lot of people are getting away with this, but I don't think it's a loophole. The law doesn't give these uploaders the right to have a Creative Commons video if they're not legally allowed to use the content in their video, so it would be up to the software developers to actually go ahead and notify YouTube. YouTube does not take copyright claims from anyone besides the copyright holder, so they're getting away with having software screenshots/etc because the software developers are lazy - Not a loophole, and not a fault with YouTube to be honest. Some companies have these types of policies in place just in case they need content removed from the internet (ex: exploit/glitch/bug/negative review), but they let everyone else upload content. That's why there's so many tutorials and reviews out there for software - software devs don't care... So I doubt they would go out of there way to chase down imbelhassen or whoever they get the content from.

imbelhassen could also say that they saw the Creative Commons license, and claim it was YouTube's fault for allowing the uploader to use a CC license, and that he believed that meant the video was approved for him to use.

This quote is from: support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468
Please understand that you may only mark your uploaded video with a Creative Commons license if it consists entirely of content licensable by you under the CC BY license. Some examples of such licensable content are:
  • Your originally created content
  • Other videos marked with a CC BY license
  • Videos in the public domain
"consists entirely of content licensable by you under the CC BY license"
So, it depends on what software it is. There are millions of videos that show viewers how to use software, so I'm inclined to say that software developers are happy to have free tutorials and videos out there because it helps users use their software (which lowers the amount of money they have to spend on customer support) and provides free advertising for the software (which lowers their marketing budget). So, videos of software have generally been supported by software developers in the past. I would argue that it depends on what software is being recorded.

Basically, if the video that OP (of this thread) wants to use has content in it that isn't licensable by the YouTube uploader, then they shouldn't use it.

Here's a better way of looking at it... I'll give 2 examples. Let's pretend UploaderGuy12 is the YouTuber with a Creative Commons video that imbelhassen wants to use. I used quoteboxes to make it look more organized and less like a wall of text :)

Example 1
UploaderGuy12 publishes a video "Photoshop CS5 Preview". Let's say this video contains content that UploaderGuy12 doesn't legally have copyright over so UploaderGuy12 isn't legally able to use a Creative Commons license in the first place. You can only use CC if you have copyright over all of the content in the video, or the legal right to offer other users a license to use your entire video. (example of content UploaderGuy12 can't use in their Creative Commons video: a video from Adobe Photoshop's official page, which Adobe hasn't offered permission for UploaderGuy12 to use)
Outcome
imbelhassen cannot use UploaderGuy12's video if the case in Example 1 is true because UploaderGuy12 never had the legal right to use a Creative Commons license in the first place, so it's ineligible.

Example 2
UploaderGuy12 publishes a video "Photoshop CS5 Preview". He uses no content from the Adobe Photoshop page, and all of his video is recordings of him using the software personally.
Outcome
Since Adobe/Photoshop is okay with UploaderGuy12 showing footage of the software, UploaderGuy12 can legally use a Creative Commons license. This means that imbelhassen can legally use UploaderGuy12's video for his own.

I hope this helps everyone with understanding Creative Commons when some of the material in the CC video is owned by a company other than the CC video uploader.

Last edited:

imbelhassen

Reaction score
but I think the additional YT Rule regarding screen shots from commercial software, which might void such a video's eligibility for the CC licence in the first place must be taken into account.
Do you mean that you need a permission from the software company to make a video tutorial about the software !?
Isn't this considered as fair of use or derived work !?
If creating video tutorial about a software is violating copyright then I can't use any video from youtube !

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you mean that you need a permission from the software company to make a video tutorial about the software !?
Isn't this considered as fair of use or derived work !?
If creating video tutorial about a software is violating copyright then I can't use any video from youtube !
I'm sure it's fine. Just do it to be honest.
Tons of people make software tutorials, I'm sure it's fine.