Question regarding the revenue

Slavian

Reaction score
Hello. I have a question for the more experienced youtubers regarding the revenue. I've monetized my channel a few days ago (youtube partner, no MCN) and the total views compared to the revenue looks very low to me. The picture below contains the stats of one of my videos. 27k views with a 3$ revenue looks way too low for me.

revenue.jpg

Reading that a normal average is 1,5 - 2 $ per 1k views. Since I monetized my channel, I have 70-80k views and 8 $ total revenue. Im I doing something wrong? Because this is descouraging. I have all the 3 types of ads on every video, 1 add per video and for videos longer than 15 min, 2 ads per video (1 at the end also) Hope you can help me understand what's the problem. Thank you!

Rod71

I've Got It
Reaction score
What is the subject matter of your videos?. What country does the majority of your audience come from?.

I can see your average view duration is rather low, so that will have something to do with it.

Slavian

Reaction score
What is the subject matter of your videos?. What country does the majority of your audience come from?.

I can see your average view duration is rather low, so that will have something to do with it.
My subject is: Sports. Top 3 audience comes from UK, US and Hong Kong. About the average view duration I don't think it's low at all, considering that video has 2:10 minutes. It means the video was watched close to 100% by all the viewers. What do you think might be the problem?

Rod71

I've Got It
Reaction score
My subject is: Sports. Top 3 audience comes from UK, US and Hong Kong. About the average view duration I don't think it's low at all, considering that video has 2:10 minutes. It means the video was watched close to 100% by all the viewers. What do you think might be the problem?
It's difficult to 100% pinpoint. But I can tell you a short form 2 minute video won't achieve a higher RPM like a 10+ minute video will. Being sports, is your audience heavily weighted to males?.

Finally, The start of April has been terrible so far for me as far as RPM goes. It's back to January levels for some reason.

Slavian

Reaction score
It's difficult to 100% pinpoint. But I can tell you a short form 2 minute video won't achieve a higher RPM like a 10+ minute video will. Being sports, is your audience heavily weighted to males?.

Finally, The start of April has been terrible so far for me as far as RPM goes. It's back to January levels for some reason.
Yes, it's heavily weighted to males. It's like 90/10 % males/females. How much did it decrease for you? For me atm it's like 1 $ for 10k views. That sounds horrible.

Rod71

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes, it's heavily weighted to males. It's like 90/10 % males/females. How much did it decrease for you? For me atm it's like 1 $ for 10k views. That sounds horrible.
I can't give you an exact number, but lets just say on average i get 30x what you quoted across my 3 channels. it falls by around 30% in January, and rises another 30% above average in the last quarter of the year.

Slavian

Reaction score
I can't give you an exact number, but lets just say on average i get 30x what you quoted across my 3 channels. it falls by around 30% in January, and rises another 30% above average in the last quarter of the year.
Much better for you then. But if you'd have a guess, could you find an explanation for why my numbers are so low?

Rod71

I've Got It
Reaction score
Much better for you then. But if you'd have a guess, could you find an explanation for why my numbers are so low?
As I said, there's no "One" answer. It's usually a combination of factors that give the end result.

Just using my 3 channels as an example.

Pinball/Classic Arcade - videos average 2 minutes in length. 90% male audience from USA/Canada/Australia/France - RPM is what I'd consider low (people on this forum consider it average)

Healthy cooking channel - Videos between 4 and 7 minutes in length. 50/50 male and female audience from USA/Canada/UK - RPM is 3x that of pinball channel.

Fitness channel - videos between 30 and 60 minutes in length. 60/40 male/female audience from USA/Canada/UK/Europe - RPM is 5x that of pinball channel.

So with the above examples, is it the video length? the subject matter? I don't know :)

RyanH

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Have you got an AdSense linked to your channel? Not all ads will be displaying if you don't have one linked.