Question on Sony Vegas - Rendering time?

Keshipel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I've started using Sony Vegas a lot more as of late, but I'm unsure if the rendering time is realistic.

I'm rendering at around 15k mbit, with 60fps at 1920x1080. Just started rendering a 33 min vid with those settings, and it'll take around 2hrs and 50min.. is this a realistic number?
I'm using CUDA to render, which is said to be waaaay faster, but I don't really notice any difference.

Pc specs:

Windows 10 64-bit
16gb DDR3 RAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core 3.30GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 RAM

Another thing that's incredibly annoying is that my Google Chrome is loading pages 10 times slower when I'm rendering.. regardless if it's with CUDA or CPU ://

GamersName

String_not_found
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I've started using Sony Vegas a lot more as of late, but I'm unsure if the rendering time is realistic.

I'm rendering at around 15k mbit, with 60fps at 1920x1080. Just started rendering a 33 min vid with those settings, and it'll take around 2hrs and 50min.. is this a realistic number?
I'm using CUDA to render, which is said to be waaaay faster, but I don't really notice any difference.

Pc specs:

Windows 10 64-bit
16gb DDR3 RAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core 3.30GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 RAM

Another thing that's incredibly annoying is that my Google Chrome is loading pages 10 times slower when I'm rendering.. regardless if it's with CUDA or CPU ://
Yes, realistic. You should check task manager while render is in progress i'm sure all 4 cpus will be loaded quite alot, no wonder browser is lagging, in general you should not use pc while rendering otherwise it will slower it. CUDA does not make render that much faster.

Reactions: Keshipel

ImRory

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Im not sure if this will help but i have an i7 4770k and i render a 5 minute video 1980x1080 60 FPS in less then 10 minutes?
So if you judge that to yours you might figure something out.

Good luck.

P.S Depending on how intense the video is it sounds normal to me

Keshipel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes, realistic. You should check task manager while render is in progress i'm sure all 4 cpus will be loaded quite alot, no wonder browser is lagging, in general you should not use pc while rendering otherwise it will slower it. CUDA does not make render that much faster.
Okey, so I ran for 2hrs and 30min. 10.000.000bps, and using CUDA.

I checked my CPU now aswell, and it's at a solid 100%. Running this thing into the ground probably :p
My CPU is really old tbh and I think using my brand new GTX gpu would be better..

Im not sure if this will help but i have an i7 4770k and i render a 5 minute video 1980x1080 60 FPS in less then 10 minutes?
So if you judge that to yours you might figure something out.
Good luck. P.S Depending on how intense the video is it sounds normal to me
Did you render the video with 10.000.000bps? Or less?

Going to do some testing now with 4.000.000bps instead.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
It seems very realistic.

V3XL0R

Personifying Music Since 1994
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Animator
Dear God, that's taking wayyyyyy too much time for it to render. My computer usually takes only an hour for a 50 minute video. I also find that Chrome gets slower on my computer, but it's no excuse for why yours takes 2 hours for a 30 minute video. Generally, when the rendering is slow, it makes your file size smaller. If you render fast, you'll have a bigger file size. In your case, because of your settings, it's probably a big file in general. I'm guessing that you're doing a gaming video. In which case, you will have different rendering settings, I guess. I usually render as an MP4 myself and edit the rendering settings and such. You've got excellent RAM and an even better processor than I do. This leads the question, why is it taking so long? Also, I don't use CUDA. In fact, I don't even know what that is and I'm getting better render times. These are just my two cents, though. I hope I helped out in some way. =)

Keshipel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A 10 seconds video in 1920x1080 takes 15 minutes to render... that can't be right? In windows media player, that takes maximum 30 seconds :s

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my Sony Vegas. Any codecs that might be messing it up?[DOUBLEPOST=1444772911,1444772728][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dear God, that's taking wayyyyyy too much time for it to render. My computer usually takes only an hour for a 50 minute video. I also find that Chrome gets slower on my computer, but it's no excuse for why yours takes 2 hours for a 30 minute video. Generally, when the rendering is slow, it makes your file size smaller. If you render fast, you'll have a bigger file size. In your case, because of your settings, it's probably a big file in general. I'm guessing that you're doing a gaming video. In which case, you will have different rendering settings, I guess. I usually render as an MP4 myself and edit the rendering settings and such. You've got excellent RAM and an even better processor than I do. This leads the question, why is it taking so long? Also, I don't use CUDA. In fact, I don't even know what that is and I'm getting better render times. These are just my two cents, though. I hope I helped out in some way. =)
Could you tell me what settings you've got? Mine might be total overkill, I don't know. The video that took like 2-3 hrs to render was at 2,41gb with 10 million bps.

CUDA is basically my GPU rendering instead of the CPU. I've seen tons of people in tutorials and everything, saying that if I have a good graphics card (which I do) I should always use it. But I'm honestly not noticing any difference..

V3XL0R

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Animator
A 10 seconds video in 1920x1080 takes 15 minutes to render... that can't be right? In windows media player, that takes maximum 30 seconds :s

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my Sony Vegas. Any codecs that might be messing it up?[DOUBLEPOST=1444772911,1444772728][/DOUBLEPOST]

Could you tell me what settings you've got? Mine might be total overkill, I don't know. The video that took like 2-3 hrs to render was at 2,41gb with 10 million bps.

CUDA is basically my GPU rendering instead of the CPU. I've seen tons of people in tutorials and everything, saying that if I have a good graphics card (which I do) I should always use it. But I'm honestly not noticing any difference..
Sure, man. Would you like to Skype about it or just post another posting in this thread? I do plan on making a video about this in the future, but for the sake of this conversation, I'm willing to do either.

Keshipel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Sure, man. Would you like to Skype about it or just post another posting in this thread? I do plan on making a video about this in the future, but for the sake of this conversation, I'm willing to do either.
I don't have Skype :> (yes iknow, I'm a dork)
But you could write it here. Just wanna try some other settings out and figure out what works the fastest.

V3XL0R

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Animator
Okay, just let me know if you need any clarification on the following:

Project Properties
My template is HDV 720p-30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps).
If you still want 1080p, then you just select the one that says HDV 1080p-60i.

Set field order to none (progressive), pixel aspect ratio 1.0000 (square), output rotation 0 degrees (original), I usually set my frame rate to 29.970 (NTSC), and stereoscopic 3D mode off.

Pixel format should be 8-bit, full resolution rendering quality best, motion blur type Gaussian, and Deinterlace method none.

Select start all new projects with these settings.

Render Template
Go to File>Render As

Go to Mainconcept AVC/AAC (.mp4; .avc)>Internet HD 720p (1080p for you)>hit customize template.

Make sure to name your template so that you don't lose it; I name mine YouTube Settings.

Frame size HD 720 (1080 for you), Profile baseline, Frame Rate 29.970 (NTSC), and tick allow source to adjust frame rate.

Pixel aspect ratio 1.0000, number of reference frames 1, encode mode render using CPU only (GPU if you still want to use your graphics card), and enable progressive download.

Now this next part is your money maker right here: variable bit rate maximum 1,500,000 and average 1,350,000.

Include audio in the audio tab, sample rate 48,000 and bit rate 192,000.

In project tab, video rendering quality best, stereoscopic 3D mode use project settings, and color space default.

Now just click ok and use your newly made template to render. I hope this helps you out. If you get stuck on something or it's unclear, just let me know and I can help you out. =)