Question Mark for Monetization Icon?

soulred12

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Gamer
I recently posted a video and tried to enable monetization and instead of just being a green icon with a white dollar sign like usual, it's a green icon with a white question mark:

When I hover over it, it says "under review" but there's really nothing to review...and other videos of mine didn't have this. They just went right to the normal green icon with white dollar sign. I found YT's monetization troubleshooting guide, which is a page that asks "what icon do you see?" but this particular one isn't one of the icon choices they list.

So what exactly does this particular icon mean when it says "under review"? My understanding was a video was only under review once you provide more information after YT flags it for "further proof of commercial rights" or whatever.

What's funny is I monetized another video recently which, although I think it's complete fair use, has about 1-2 minute's worth of gameplay footage. Whereas this one that got the question mark is just a video of me, albiet with a small public domain graphic and short public domain sound effect edited in (and I could prove it...if YT would ask me for the proof instead of just making it hang there as "under review"...).

Any ideas?

Lilikoi Juice

I do all my own graphics!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
I recently posted a video and tried to enable monetization and instead of just being a green icon with a white dollar sign like usual, it's a green icon with a white question mark:

When I hover over it, it says "under review" but there's really nothing to review...and other videos of mine didn't have this. They just went right to the normal green icon with white dollar sign. I found YT's monetization troubleshooting guide, which is a page that asks "what icon do you see?" but this particular one isn't one of the icon choices they list.

So what exactly does this particular icon mean when it says "under review"? My understanding was a video was only under review once you provide more information after YT flags it for "further proof of commercial rights" or whatever.

What's funny is I monetized another video recently which, although I think it's complete fair use, has about 1-2 minute's worth of gameplay footage. Whereas this one that got the question mark is just a video of me, albiet with a small public domain graphic and short public domain sound effect edited in (and I could prove it...if YT would ask me for the proof instead of just making it hang there as "under review"...).

Any ideas?
When did you upload the video? You might want to give it a few days. I don't monetize my videos but I always have the option to do so. I noticed a question mark on one of my videos and wondered what it meant. Since I didn't monetize, I didn't bother to look into it but after about four or five days, the question mark changed over to the usual dollar sign.

soulred12

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
I uploaded it about a full day ago at this point. Alright, I'll give it a couple more days. I'd just be curious to know why Youtube's system chose this and not the other one to review.

EDIT: It just changed to a $ sign. I guess I was worried for nothing. Thanks for the post telling me to be patient :3

Last edited:

RaYmAoNn

Reaction score
hey man, i'm having the same problem and I uploaded the video in (March 13, 2013 6:05 PM). If you have any idea on how to get that fixed, please let me know, because this is ******* me off.

soulred12

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
hey man, i'm having the same problem and I uploaded the video in (March 13, 2013 6:05 PM). If you have any idea on how to get that fixed, please let me know, because this is ******* me off.
I dunno man. Mine changed after a few days when I wrote this post. If it's been that way for months and you never got a "more information needed" message, I'd imagine there's something wrong, maybe try turning off monetization and turning it back on. If you did get a more information needed message, and you submitted "more information," then it likely will never change because youtube only re-reviews videos that get lots and lots of attention.