Question for starting my channel

MetalCoreGaming

Hello dear YTtalk-Community,

my name is Kai and I hope I´m in the right area. I´m at the beginning of starting my YouTube Channel.

I passionately listen to Rock/Metal/Punk-Music and i love to play video games. I like to make references to Movies/TV Series and Memes. I would to combine this all into my Gaming Videos.

Here are probably some capable and experienced YouTubers and i would really appreciate some advice for the following topics:
  • Should I create content in English even though I´m not a native speaker? My Englisch is okay.
  • I can´t decide my channel name. Which of the following names fits my channel description most? Or do you even have a suggestion?
    • MetalCoreGaming
    • PowerChordGaming
    • RockAtConsoles
    • RockAtGaming
  • First video: Is it better to upload a channel presentation first (what to expect from the channel) or start with your first gameplay series?
  • Do you guys prefer watching someone commentating with a facecam or without? I would comment my Gameplay afterwards either with or without facecam.

If you stayed until this point, I´d like to thank you for your attention and I would really appreciate some advice :)

Greetings,

Kai

Should I create content in English even though I´m not a native speaker? My Englisch is okay.

Your written English is good enough certainly. It depends on the level of your spoken English really. If you're able to speak fluently without lots of "Ermmms" and pauses and mistakes, then you should go for it. What is your native language?

I can´t decide my channel name. Which of the following names fits my channel description most? Or do you even have a suggestion?
  • MetalCoreGaming
  • PowerChordGaming
  • RockAtConsoles
  • RockAtGaming

The first 2 are good choices IMHO. They are "longtail" and the 3 words combined are more likely to be unique (and therefore easy to find you when searching.) The last 2 contain very common words and it might be difficult to find you. My advice - If you want to do this seriously and build a brand, check to see if the names you want are also available on facebook, twitter and also check the domain name registers to see if the .com is available. If so, register them all and then create the channel.

First video: Is it better to upload a channel presentation first (what to expect from the channel) or start with your first gameplay series?

IMHO, both options are fine. If you want to do an intro video, make it very short. (Less than 3 minutes) Just give a few facts about yourself, mention what sort of content you'll be making and that's it.

Do you guys prefer watching someone commentating with a facecam or without?

Facecam is always better than without facecam. A face will allow you to create a connection with your viewers much quicker than without facecam.

I would comment my Gameplay afterwards

Why afterwards? Surely live commentary would be more authentic?

1. It seems likes you can speak pretty good English, if you’re able to speak in English than go for it, but if you feel more comfortable speaking your native language than you speak in your language.

2. I also like punk, rock and metal. Metal core gaming is a good name.
3 with face came

Your written English is good enough certainly. It depends on the level of your spoken English really. If you're able to speak fluently without lots of "Ermmms" and pauses and mistakes, then you should go for it. What is your native language?

The first 2 are good choices IMHO. They are "longtail" and the 3 words combined are more likely to be unique (and therefore easy to find you when searching.) The last 2 contain very common words and it might be difficult to find you. My advice - If you want to do this seriously and build a brand, check to see if the names you want are also available on facebook, twitter and also check the domain name registers to see if the .com is available. If so, register them all and then create the channel.

IMHO, both options are fine. If you want to do an intro video, make it very short. (Less than 3 minutes) Just give a few facts about yourself, mention what sort of content you'll be making and that's it.

Facecam is always better than without facecam. A face will allow you to create a connection with your viewers much quicker than without facecam.

Why afterwards? Surely live commentary would be more authentic?

First of all thank you for your response!

My native language is German. I can speak English without the "ermmms" and it´s solid, but I´ll have a german accent, of course. I think the biggest problem would be that i can´t mix up my vocabulary as much as a native speaker to prevent repeating the same words.

Yeah, i also prefer the the first two suggestions. I´ll check out if the names are available :)

That´s the thing. People should know what they can expect from a channel or what kind of style you have. And when I start directly with Gameplay i should probably also talk the first 1 minute about my idea or about myself (which I shouldn´t probably in every video?)

It seems that Facecam wins.

1. It seems likes you can speak pretty good English, if you’re able to speak in English than go for it, but if you feel more comfortable speaking your native language than you speak in your language.

2. I also like punk, rock and metal. Metal core gaming is a good name.
3 with face came

Also much appreciation for your answer!

1. That´s the thing. I don´t know how comfortable I´ll be in using English. But I´ll probably get better and better every time.
2. That´s cool. I think we are a minority group :D Best case scenario would be if i can get people to appreciate this kind of music more or even get into it.
3. Facecam it is.

My native language is German. I can speak English without the "ermmms" and it´s solid, but I´ll have a german accent, of course. I think the biggest problem would be that i can´t mix up my vocabulary as much as a native speaker to prevent repeating the same words.

I think your English is good enough.

For the language, there are advantages / disadvantages of doing English compared to German. - The advantage of doing English vs German is that the total potential audience is bigger (there are more people who understand English than German) BUT the disadvantage is there is more competition (There are more English speaking channels than German-speaking channels) so in English, it'll be a lot harder to reach that bigger audience. There is a higher probability of your videos not being discovered.

Since there's less competition in German, it'd be easier to get to the top of search with German language SEO and get your videos seen BUT will there be enough people watching to get the high number of views needed to really grow and a channel and maybe make money from it in the future? That's the analysis you need to do. List the top 10 gaming channels in the German language and see how many daily views they're getting. Is it worth it? Is there a market? Then research how competitive their niches are (do some keyword searches and see how many results there are) to see how hard it'd be to compete with them. Then do the same for channels in the English language.

My opinion is that if you learn very good SEO, you could do very well in the German language. The total audience is smaller but you'll have a bigger share of it in German. Whereas in English, the total audience is huge but there is a risk you will only get 0.0000001 % of it!

I think your English is good enough.

For the language, there are advantages / disadvantages of doing English compared to German. - The advantage of doing English vs German is that the total potential audience is bigger (there are more people who understand English than German) BUT the disadvantage is there is more competition (There are more English speaking channels than German-speaking channels) so in English, it'll be a lot harder to reach that bigger audience. There is a higher probability of your videos not being discovered.

Since there's less competition in German, it'd be easier to get to the top of search with German language SEO and get your videos seen BUT will there be enough people watching to get the high number of views needed to really grow and a channel and maybe make money from it in the future? That's the analysis you need to do. List the top 10 gaming channels in the German language and see how many daily views they're getting. Is it worth it? Is there a market? Then research how competitive their niches are (do some keyword searches and see how many results there are) to see how hard it'd be to compete with them. Then do the same for channels in the English language.

My opinion is that if you learn very good SEO, you could do very well in the German language. The total audience is smaller but you'll have a bigger share of it in German. Whereas in English, the total audience is huge but there is a risk you will only get 0.0000001 % of it!

Thank you for the response!
I wouldn´t probably get so many views in Germany alone since my music taste is a small niche. I´ll do my research and decide what will work best for me. The chances of getting views is probably better in Germany, but some of my intended jokes work basically in English, because all lyrics are written in English.

Back