Question About YouTube Names

Lukerz

Hey all!
I started a YouTube channel the other day with the name "Nexen" however, later I found out another larger youtuber (Nexen4games) had a similar name. So I was wondering, would it be a good idea to change my name before I really get started on my channel? This other Youtuber, Nexen4Games, doesn't appear to speak English so I'm not sure it's a big deal. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!

I think it would be important to find a username that is distinguishable. For example, if you search for visualbrandon (me) I'm the only one who comes up. This is a good thing. I don't want to ever be confused with anyone else. I want to make it as easy as possible for returning and new viewers to reach my channel.

Definitely important to have a name that is easy to distinguish from other large channels, especially if you plan on doing similar content. I sort of struggled with this same idea, as there are a few other channels that are named Ashleen on Youtube, but none of them consistently post, or have the same type of content. I'm thinking about rebranding my channel as well a little bit to be more recognizable.

I went ahead and changed the channels name to something unique. Now when you search up my channels name only my channel pops up.

Reactions: EVO
I know the discussion is over, but I would like to add my point of view. Honestly, as long as the competition is out of the picture I don't think it matters much. I have a name that 2 other channels have. The reason that I still went through with branding my channel as I did despite the fact that I knew of the other channels existences is because they were very inactive. One only upload 1 video a few years ago and the other uploaded so infrequently it didn't matter. Pretty much what I'm trying to say is if the channel that had a similar name to you still uploads and has a bigger following, changing your name is a good idea. If the channel that shares the same name does not upload and has a smaller following than you, I think it's fine. I don't have the best track record of creating good or catchy names though so I could be wrong :tongue:

Just tested this for my channel. Entering the search term "HiEnergyMusic" in Youtube leads to my channel being listed in first place followed by countless links to "High-Energy" music (an 80s/90s music genre), followed by some of my videos intermingled with more "High-Energy" and "Gay-Bar" music... *sigh*
Don't want to change my channel name though as it's also my artist name.

Back