Question about sponsorships and free items

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So a store recently sent us some free food to review on our Youtube channel. My question is, even if they didn't pay us anything for this, do we still have to mention that the video is sponsored or call them our sponsor?

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yes. they provided the product with the agreement you will be talking about/reviewing by law you need to acknowledge this is a sponsor.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would not use the term sponsor. You only need to be upfront and say that you received the items for free to review.

'Sponsor' means that there was a financial transaction. Payment was involved.

Last edited:

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I would not use the term sponsor. You only need to be upfront and say that you received the items for free to review.

'Sponsor' means that there was a financial transaction. Payment was involved.
Oh. I think I'll do this instead. Thanks man!

MsCartoonist

Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
You should always mention that it is a sponsor because you receiving the item and not paying for it is still a payment in a way because the food was of value. You can get in trouble not saying this.

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You should always mention that it is a sponsor because you receiving the item and not paying for it is still a payment in a way because the food was of value. You can get in trouble not saying this.
Yeah I just didn't know if free products counted as a sponsor in Youtube. Google wasn't too much helpful to me.

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Nope, no dig but reply to this to remind me to get a link from the FTC.
Replied. :) I am going to start implementing your earlier tip starting with tomorrow's shoot. I used to just put "not a paid product advertisement" because I thought that was enough.