Question about joining an MCN

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I lm willing to join my 1st MCN, i have few questions

1. once my contract ends, will I be automatically put on google adsense without having to reapply or fill something out?

2. Say I join an MCN and have an unpaid balance yet by adsense ( say $1000) will that balance stay there until I leave an MCN and go back with adsense, or will it be paid out?

3. Another scenario - say I join the MCN after I get paid, money gets finalized on 15th or so of each month, and I get paid on 23rd or so, what happens with the cash that I earned with Adsense within the days between 15th and 23rd when I join an MCN?

Reactions: darksmokeyt

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@ZanarAesthetics I can only answer your first question; and as a preface, you must be an approved YPP member to join an MCN.

The answer is no. You will need to reapply to the YouTube Partner Program and pass a channel review like any new applicant. You will also need to manually connect an Adsense account to your YouTube channel in order to initiate the review process.

Since you seem to be creating videos which involve copyright media, I would suggest you have prepared and ready to submit, your licensing, publicity rights and commercial usage rights documentation. Attempted monetization of unlicensed third party copyright media is a violation of Adsense policy; and being caught doing this can cause permanent disablement of your Adsense account, ending your ability to monetize videos on YouTube forever.

Reason: You are only allowed one Adsense account in your Google Lifetime.
The link below is a Help Article discussing Adsense Policies.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/48182?hl=en-GB

Query: are you currently a member of the YouTube Partner Program, with a active Adsense connected? If so, some channels like yours are receiving notice of demonetization for "repeated submission of ineligible videos and/or insufficient documentation".

This is an irreversible situation. Such channels can never be monetized again.

Last edited:

Eric Parker

Reaction score
1. once my contract ends, will I be automatically put on google adsense without having to reapply or fill something out?

As long as you are joining an actual MCN, you will remain in the same status you were in with YouTube when you joined the MCN. If you are currently in an MCN and never previously monetized, or are joining a Managed content owner and did not previously monetize, you will have to apply for monetization but will be instantly accepted.

2. Say I join an MCN and have an unpaid balance yet by adsense ( say $1000) will that balance stay there until I leave an MCN and go back with adsense, or will it be paid out?

You will be paid your earnings unless they are below $100, in that case you'd have to wait until you accrue $100 with AdSense.

3. Another scenario - say I join the MCN after I get paid, money gets finalized on 15th or so of each month, and I get paid on 23rd or so, what happens with the cash that I earned with Adsense within the days between 15th and 23rd when I join an MCN?

Read #2. Similarly when you leave an MCN, the MCN will pay you owed earnings for the period.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@Eric Parker Can you please explain to me your answer to question 1, in the face of the fact that all MCNs were unlinked from their current members in February, and all of the members were immediately placed in the channel review queue?

To my knowledge, if a channel leaving an actual MCN has never been subjected to the new compliance review, that channel will need to pass the review as though they were joining the YPP for the first time.

Can you quote or link a source of your information, please?

Eric Parker

Reaction score
I've personally done it with channels created through an MCN and then removed from said MCN. Here's what the monetization page looks like if you were previously in a content owner http prntscr (dot) com/k3reu2 here's what it looks like to new creators: http prntscr (dot) com/k3rf59 . It's not officially announced, and I assume it's situational but it does work.

ItsFunny

I've Got It
Reaction score
if person has 20,000 sub daily 1.5k view so channel still has to go through review process after leaving MCN

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@Eric Parker I somehow think that if the channel was under a content owner and had not reached the new review thresholds, it would look like screen 2 in any case. There were many channels which hadn't reached the current requirements which were de-linked; and a lot of those were complaining that their screens looked like your second screen shot, and asking how to connect an Adsense account on the Help Forum.

Quite a few of these types and others who had not been under an MCN but were monetized before the new rules took effect are still trying to claim that the new rules don't apply to them as their channels were founded and monetized long before the new requirements were put in place. These channel owners are literally demanding their monetization be restored, and are being told: sorry, but the new rules are universal; and you will need to reach the thresholds and be reviewed like everyone else.[DOUBLEPOST=1531073150,1531073057][/DOUBLEPOST]
if person has 20,000 sub daily 1.5k view so channel still has to go through review process after leaving MCN
If the channel has never been subjected to the compliance review before, then yes it will.

Last edited:

Eric Parker

Reaction score
If the channel doesn't meet the requirements, then that's correct. If you leave an MCN on normal terms (the MCN clicks the unlink button), that's what happens. If the channel is removed for being ineligible for YPP (suspended monetization, not meeting 4k-1k, etc), then they're treated the same as everyone else.

ItsFunny

I've Got It
Reaction score
did anyone answer my question please

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
did anyone answer my question please

I did answer your question, several days ago; sigh...I will quote myself.

"If the channel has never been subjected to the compliance review before, then yes it will when it leaves the MCN."

If it had been reviewed before it joined that MCN, then no it possibly will not. I say possibly because YouTube's current stance is to review all channels in the YPP from time to time.

"