QUERY REGARDING COPYRIGHT

kdrcarigo

Reaction score
I'm a small channel on trying to make my way on youtube. I post and edit highlights of public matches of professional players. I would just like to ask if my videos can get monetized if I put their in-game names in the title of the videos. Thank you and a response would be highly appreciated

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the copyright discussion forum. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
No.

In fact you face both possible strikes and channel termination on grounds of copyright and other rights infringement unless you can prove both copyright clearance, worldwide broadcast rights, publicity rights for all recognizable players, and commercial use rights for all elements of your videos.

Reactions: Shakycow

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Just a highlight reel? No, that probably isn't fair use.

Now, if you were to provide analysis of playstyle (e.g. "Monday morning quarterbacking"), then you could probably make a fair use claim, as that is a commentary, critique, and analysis all rolled into one. Those are generally considered fair use.

Something to think about!

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
To be considered fair use, your work must be "transformative." That means that it must add value to the original work.

Simply clipping out the boring parts of a sporting event and uploading the game otherwise unedited and verbatim doesn't add value to the original work. If anything, it just takes value away.