Quality, Quantity, Both? Algorithm Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conncast

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Hello there,
this is among my first posts on the site and I would like a little info from somebody who knows a little better than I do about the youtube algorithms and how they can be fully exploited for greater exposure. I will structure this post in a series of questions, many of which have probably already been answered and if this is the case feel free to link me to the appropriate threads.

1. What is generally the best time of day to upload, this may seem trivial but as somebody who watches youtube on a subscription feed basis from a phone this seems important to me. Maybe I am blowing it out of proportion and I am sure that it varies by genre but it is a great fact to know.

2. I have heard the algorithm gives people who can produce content every day more exposure, and I am leaning toward this being accurate as I have gained quite a few subs since I started posting every day however I think this is sort of ripping off some of my viewers as my gaming videos are stream of consciousness and don't really require any editing, (not to say that I consider them bad) would you recommend introducing a self enforced schedual on myself for various TYPES of videos?

3. does a livestream affect the every day part mentioned in question 2, my main question is that if I want to maximize the use of these algorithms, should I upload a video every day regardless of the livestream or upload videos on every day that i DO NOT livestream

4. last but not least, how would one most effectively tag videos to get maximum exposure, is there any resource on line in which I can check what are popular searches such as adsense, also with this point realize that I AM NOT talking about indescriminate tagging here but rather selecting the best tags for my content that fit specific words that happen to be searched often.

Thanks for reading and I apologize for my probably numerous spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, but I hope we can find some answers together and if podcasts, gaming, and edutainment are your bag, check my channel out ;)

LaurenLSexton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am by no means an expert, in fact I'm relatively new to this whole uploading on to YouTube lark, but I thought I'd add in what I've picked up on as a fellow person who's often confused by it all!

So far I have only uploaded 8 videos and at first I assumed that posting them around 5pm/6pm in the evening, and on Fridays and Saturdays, was the best way to get views as that is what I'd seen the bigger YouTubers doing. However, what I have found - for me anyway - that posting at around 2pm/3pm during the week works better. This is probably because my video won't get lost amongst the more popular videos in people's sub boxes. If I upload the same time as everyone else, it is my video that'll get skipped.

I do wonder the same thing about posting everyday. I'm well aware that the more you post the better and having a regular upload schedule works best, but I'd love to know if people have noticed a difference between uploading twice a week opposed to every day. Currently I aim to post once or twice a week, but would happily post more if I felt it was beneficial to my channel. I always worry about over posting, annoying people, some of my videos getting missed etc.

I have a bit of an SEO background so knew enough about tags before getting started, well, enough to keep me going so far. I find the best thing to do is just to Google. There's loads of pages on available with good information, and though some of it doesn't always agree on the same points, overall you'll get the idea.

Conncast

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I am by no means an expert, in fact I'm relatively new to this whole uploading on to YouTube lark, but I thought I'd add in what I've picked up on as a fellow person who's often confused by it all!

So far I have only uploaded 8 videos and at first I assumed that posting them around 5pm/6pm in the evening, and on Fridays and Saturdays, was the best way to get views as that is what I'd seen the bigger YouTubers doing. However, what I have found - for me anyway - that posting at around 2pm/3pm during the week works better. This is probably because my video won't get lost amongst the more popular videos in people's sub boxes. If I upload the same time as everyone else, it is my video that'll get skipped.

I do wonder the same thing about posting everyday. I'm well aware that the more you post the better and having a regular upload schedule works best, but I'd love to know if people have noticed a difference between uploading twice a week opposed to every day. Currently I aim to post once or twice a week, but would happily post more if I felt it was beneficial to my channel. I always worry about over posting, annoying people, some of my videos getting missed etc.

I have a bit of an SEO background so knew enough about tags before getting started, well, enough to keep me going so far. I find the best thing to do is just to Google. There's loads of pages on available with good information, and though some of it doesn't always agree on the same points, overall you'll get the idea.

Thanks for the input lauren,
I am just torn between the algorithms and keeping good on my early subscribers, after all podcasts and gaming are two VERY oversaturated markets so I go after a political niche with them.

I figure if I set a schedual i.e every day a letsplay, except for wednesday there will be a podcast and friday a scripted video that would be the best of both worlds.

as far as your 2-3 pm sort of time frame, how do you structure that personally, would that be EST (as it is my time zone where I am and where the northeast corridor of the US is) or do you think it is best to target another market?

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi @Conncast ,

a series of questions, many of which have probably already been answered and if this is the case feel free to link me to the appropriate threads.
I would highly recommend using the search bar to find common topics that may address answers to your questions rather than having someone else do the work for you. Especially since these are common questions as you might imagine :)

However here are some places to help you get started in your research:

Tutorials, Tips, & Guides: http://yttalk.com/forums/youtube-tips-tutorials-help-guides.91/
Marketing & SEO: http://yttalk.com/forums/youtube-video-marketing-strategy-seo.88/
Articles & Resources: http://yttalk.com/forums/youtube-tutorials-articles-resources.10/

There's also quite a bit of information in this section you're in now: Strategies & Technique Advice.

I'll also link you to the latest discussion regarding livestreams and the algorithm:
http://yttalk.com/threads/how-does-live-streaming-affect-youtubes-algorithm.253197/

Status
Not open for further replies.