Putting Youtuber's Name In Tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hey, all. I'm working on some tags for my newest videos, and I'm wondering what people think of putting other Youtuber's names (who make videos similar to mine) as tags of my videos.
I've heard a couple of people chastise this in the past, but what about all of you here on YTTalk?

Therealkojr

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I do not think it's the best thing to do. If someone is searching for the a certain youtuber in the search bar, they are probably looking for a video from that youtuber. They probably would not search for that youtuber's name and then click on someone elses video ya know? I mean, it can't hurt you, but i do not think it will help you either.

THAT BEING SAID I use my friends youtube name in my tags all the time. We make videos with each other a lot so we both use each others names in our tags.

JAMESMONOZYME

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wouldn't recommend it but you could give it a trial period to see if it works then make your own judgement from that.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It is against YouTube's policy. You're trying to game the metadata in a way that does not deliver the content people are looking for.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
It is against YouTube's policy. You're trying to game the metadata in a way that does not deliver the content people are looking for.
Eh, Youtube doesn't care for that anyways. Since when do they fairly enforce their policies anyways, especially when it comes to tricking/abusing the algorithm.

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Eh, Youtube doesn't care for that anyways. Since when do they fairly enforce their policies anyways, especially when it comes to tricking/abusing the algorithm.
YouTube does care about it. Many have been banned for similar practices. Yes there are many people who break the TOS who aren't banned, but there are an even larger number who are, and emulating them is just a way to ensure that your channel doesn't last particularly long.

Now if you mention them in the video or there's a good reason to relate that particular video to them, that's one thing, but just putting their name in your tags for absolutely no reason is misleading metadata and against the TOS.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Tags are not very important algorithmically. Why risk losing your channel for something that will not make a difference to success?

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It doesn't work whether you tube cares or not. Whatever other channel name you use already has multiple vids out there and their presence and time in the search engine will always outweigh what you do. Even if the channel is smaller, searching for them and finding you has a slim chance. So it's better to just go with terms that will be searched and not risk a ban that was for something that wouldn't have helped anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.