Putting together longer videos.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I am toying with the idea of making a long video. Like 25 minutes or something. Or maybe building up to that sort of thing or doing a monthly long video. Not sure yet.

I am a cooking channel, and I envision something like Jamie's 30 minute meals or something, where I make a larger and more complicated meal rather than just a single dish - it's a lot of hard work to pull that off I think, but youtube is a different animal to tv so maybe the format just won't work - and obviously this Jamie Oliver fella is probably (most definitely is) a better cook and entertainer than me so I might not be able to pull off a straight shot like he does.

Any advice for structuring longer videos for a youtube audience?

Jkcu

Reaction score
I try to make my videos about 11- 15 minutes max. But I think the best advice I can give you is discuss about current events. And if I had a cooking channel i would give culinary facts or advice. So try to look into that my friend. I am a gaming channel you see. But I love to cook, so I cant wait to watch your videos :)

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am toying with the idea of making a long video. Like 25 minutes or something. Or maybe building up to that sort of thing or doing a monthly long video. Not sure yet.

I am a cooking channel, and I envision something like Jamie's 30 minute meals or something, where I make a larger and more complicated meal rather than just a single dish - it's a lot of hard work to pull that off I think, but youtube is a different animal to tv so maybe the format just won't work - and obviously this Jamie Oliver fella is probably (most definitely is) a better cook and entertainer than me so I might not be able to pull off a straight shot like he does.

Any advice for structuring longer videos for a youtube audience?
There is lots of long-form content on YouTube, as long as you keep the video entertaining people would probably be willing to stick around. Might be worth giving it a go and seeing what response you get. Not really sure of good formats for cooking videos because I don't watch them, but it's probably best to make sure that you explain what you're doing well and make it clear as to what you're working towards from the start so that people will want to stay watching to see how you get to the final result.

Reaction score
one thing you could do is utilize title cards and music.

this could help you to structure the longer videos, as well as retain the viewer's attention.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I try to make my videos about 11- 15 minutes max. But I think the best advice I can give you is discuss about current events. And if I had a cooking channel i would give culinary facts or advice. So try to look into that my friend. I am a gaming channel you see. But I love to cook, so I cant wait to watch your videos :)
I'm kinda with you on this one I really try to keep everything under 10 mins 15mins as a absolute max if I don't feel I can possibly make the video any shorter.

I think anything longer than that you really better have amazing production quality if your going to keep someone engaged that long. I didn't check out the original posters channel to see where his production quality is at but I know I couldn't pull off a 30 min video yet.

I guess the question I would ask is if you check the relative audience retention on your video's are you pulling above average retention across your entire video's all the way to the end? if so you can probably go longer format than you currently are.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
better cook and entertainer
if someone watch to learn and you give right instructions you are also a good cook too.

saying a joke from time to time is a common practice to entertain the viewer and discharge the monotony.
What people don't get is that behind those "entertainers" there is a team of people from searching recipes
lighting, cameras, montage, b-roll footage, audio, scripting and of course:
overall planning.
Plan your video flow in detail and you are good to go.
After all you are not going to compete a tv show as an one man cook-band!
Youtube and viewers know the differerence and they are willing to watch you I guess...

:)

akemipie

Reaction score
Actually a lot of the bigger youtubers have opted for longer videos lately, and I think cooking is a good format for this. I think it is completely doable with a bit of practice.