Public display of subscriber count, yay or nay?

Yoz Creative

Liking YTtalk
Hiya tubers,
Sorry if this topic is placed in the wrong section... as a forum noob Im trying to learn how to navigate and use the forums...

My topic: On YouTube I have the amount of subscribers of my channel set to private. When joining the forums I found it natural to apply the same settings
I notice the goal feature and understood its the green number next to the red. This made me reflect on my own choise...

Are there any pros and cons for displaying the amount of subscribers on YouTube?

Are there any pros and cons for displaying the amount of subscribers (and the goal) on this forums?

I would like to see your thoughts and experiences around this if to change my settings of not

I know a few people that are hiding their subscriber number on YouTube because they think that low number is discouraging people from subscribing.

I don't hide it, and in my opinion it looks a bit weird when someone does. It kinda looks like they have no subs at all or have something broken. But that's just my own impression.

Yeah, it always feels a little off-putting when someone hides their subscribers, like they want to hide what other YouTubers are comfortable showing. But, I don't know, maybe it increases subscriber rates; I've never really tried before.

I would keep that public yes. People can already gather how many subscribers a given person has when they look at the view count of your videos, and the amount of comments you receive. People also don't tend to subscribe people that hide things from them unless the content is just that awesome. And lets face it, the majority of the stuff that gets put out there by you, me and others just isn't awesome. Put yourself out there and keep that stat live for everyone to see.

Remember; If you have passion for what you do that subscriber number or view number won't have that big of an impact. It just counts fellow human beings that where moved by your content. People always seem put down because they look at the stratosphere numbers (100k<). Remind yourself that 10 subscribers will net you a soccer team if you include yourself, 30 subscribers fills up a classroom, 100 subscribers means a busy restaurant and 1000 or more will start to fill up a cruise ship nicely.

Personally, I don't see a problem with showing your subscribers publicly. In fact, I think that when people are able to see that your subscriber count is growing, it indicates to them that you are a channel worth checking out because other people are willing to come back to your content! And that means growth!

Back