Promoting gaming channel on Reddit ?

ExoHydraX

Reaction score
Hey guys , I've heard promoting your youtube channel on reddit can be either good or bad. Any more infos ? On why/where you advertise on reddit ? do you make a new thread or just post under a topic ? Also for those that wouldn't recommend doing it on reddit , any reason why ?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wouldn't recommend it because it's not as populated as like facebook or twitter or something along that nature.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I wouldn't recommend it because it's not as populated as like facebook or twitter or something along that nature.
Not to be rude, but that's really flawed logic. A website more populated doesn't mean you're likely to get more views. In fact, a website more populated means more competition, so it's likely you'd get less views from Facebook than you would Reddit if you don't have a following on either one of those sites. More competition = much harder to get noticed = less views

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
The reason that you hear bad things about Reddit is because the users there don't like self-promotion. If you want to give it a try be sure to create an account and do some posting for a week or two so that you can get the hang of the site and build up karma. Your chances of getting good traffic will be slim if you just create an account and post your video.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
If you make something newsworthy or deserving of a discussion then it will likely be welcomed.
Self promo is looked down upon because there are so many, like literally a million channels, that are lets players screaming about nothing or pointless all about me videos full of jump cuts. All of whom are trying to get big without putting anything back into a community that would in theory boost them.

But the best advice for Reddit is to make videos good enough that others post them on your behalf. I barely post on Reddit anymore because I just leave it to others to find and share it

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you make something newsworthy or deserving of a discussion then it will likely be welcomed.
Self promo is looked down upon because there are so many, like literally a million channels, that are lets players screaming about nothing or pointless all about me videos full of jump cuts. All of whom are trying to get big without putting anything back into a community that would in theory boost them.

But the best advice for Reddit is to make videos good enough that others post them on your behalf. I barely post on Reddit anymore because I just leave it to others to find and share it
This. I have always said that about Reddit. Jontron got a huge amount of exposure early on because someone else posted a video of his on reddit (and because false tagging used to work back then). You can't do it yourself because Reddit really, really hates self-promotion. The only time it doesn't is when you go to a subreddit for self-promotion, and those are useless because everyone's just going there to link dump.

FleXiNaToR

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Reddit is a difficult one to master because redditors hate self promotion
and if you plan on sharing your content on a subreddit don't just spam your videos because
redditors HATE spamers,If you want to use reddit I suggest you contribute to a subreddit you want to share your videos on.
Also if you are looking to be critique Reddit is the place for you.

MangakaDeniz

Reaction score
I posted some lets plays on reddit nobody even look at it ( on self promo subreddit for small youtubers)

Also I posted my animation parody, its well done in my opinion. I draw good at least. I got hatred from people who didnt even watch. I wrote that i animated myself. Next time i wont even said it. Self promo isnt banned, some subreddits even for that. However i found rude people only. They just commented ''sure its bad'' even without watching it. But it was well made. They just judged me because im new member. I heard that reddit mostly have male users and they dont like female users. Maybe because im a girl they disliked me, i dont know.

I also shared them in twitter and facebook. I used tags on them. I almost never receive facebook views but i received good views on twitter. At least when im active on twitter then i share my content people look at it.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Reddit is a difficult one to master because redditors hate self promotion
and if you plan on sharing your content on a subreddit don't just spam your videos because
redditors HATE spamers,If you want to use reddit I suggest you contribute to a subreddit you want to share your videos on.
Also if you are looking to be critique Reddit is the place for you.
I once asked for a video review and some jerk came in and started picking apart my channel. It was a video review thread and I specifically asked for the video (even saying I'm aware of my channel's issues). He claimed a short clip that was cut from a longer video as a joke was just "sh@* I uploaded to remind people I exist" when I actually did it for fun. Then he said not to upload full streams because no one will want to watch that. My Zelda streams get the longest watch time and more views than my short uploads. Basically his advice was just pretentious crap and he looked down on me the whole time. That's basically the typical kind of advice I've found. So just watch for reddit. I find it to be a bit cancerous.

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Reddit is a great tool to add to your arsenal. If you want to successfully promote your videos, become active in various subreddits for a little while. After you feel that you have become "known," then feel free to sneak in a link to your latest video. Many people will agree that less than 10% of your posts on Reddit should be self-promotion, otherwise you may face bans from specific subreddits or from Reddit itself. All-in-all, Reddit is a great way to boost your exposure on YouTube, especially when you have few subscribers and views.