Professional Designers- May Not Be Professional At All?

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
So, I've seen loads of people offering to make backgrounds for free, and that's pretty nice of all these people. Some say they are professional ones, they probably are, but in some cases they are not. Before you read on, yea this is a little rant, just a little point i'd like to share with you all because it does make me a little annoyed.

People say get professional background/logo/intro for free, but I see alot of people saying this and to be honest quite alot of them seem to be claiming they are professional GFX artists, when really you need an actual qualification to be classed as "professional" some people may argue with me, there probably is alternate ways, and I would never know if they did have a qualification. But the thing is, there are alot of very talented 10-15 year old people who can make some seriously cool stuff, but then they claim to make professional backgrounds, and for that to be, they have to be professional their self, and for that they would have to have taken courses and stuff to get this qualification, and usually this comes in collage and things and there is an age for that, so unless these people are so smart they can go to collage courses at a young age, which is unlikely, they would not qualify to be a pro GFX artist or whatever they do. Some say their work is copyrighted, that would require paying or being with a company, adding a TM or copyright symbol doesn't make it officially copyrighted! But no harm or anything, just something that makes me a little mad...

However I do see the good points, yeah it does get more people interested, and it does make the expectations go a little higher. But I think, this is just my opinion, but I think they should say it is professional looking, or professional style, because it's not an actual pro design, so it is a lie. Your probably thinking, yeah, no big deal, not harming anyone. And yes it isn't doing anything bad but I feel people just shouldn't claim to be something they are not (not yet anyway).

To round this off nicely, i'm not asking anyone to change, this is just a point i'd like to share, adding that it is professional does help, so changing it is not needed, nothing is wrong with doing it. This is just how I feel about this whole thing, yes i'm going to get alot of people getting mad at me, maybe even people who are the ones who make bg who say are professional, maybe you are, I wouldn't be suprised, perhaps all of these people are pro's but trust me, there are people out there who claim to be professional when they are not, so just watch out, lol ;)

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
"collage " you mean college? Sorry, not a grammar nazi, just pointing it out :)
But heh, y'all should google the word, it might seem like a good thing to add, but dosen't mean much for me. Tons of the professionals are pretty rubbish. (Prime example is the people who did the graphic design for the London 2012, a lot of it was very poor yet they are professionals)
I don't find it a useful addition to the title of the post really.

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
"collage " you mean college? Sorry, not a grammar nazi, just pointing it out :)
But heh, y'all should google the word, it might seem like a good thing to add, but dosen't mean much for me. Tons of the professionals are pretty rubbish. (Prime example is the people who did the graphic design for the London 2012, a lot of it was very poor yet they are professionals)
I don't find it a useful addition to the title of the post really.
yeah I meant college, lol I was rushing through this thread :p

unknown_userr433436365

Networks and GFX Expert :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
So, I've seen loads of people offering to make backgrounds for free, and that's pretty nice of all these people. Some say they are professional ones, they probably are, but in some cases they are not. Before you read on, yea this is a little rant, just a little point i'd like to share with you all because it does make me a little annoyed.

People say get professional background/logo/intro for free, but I see alot of people saying this and to be honest quite alot of them seem to be claiming they are professional GFX artists, when really you need an actual qualification to be classed as "professional" some people may argue with me, there probably is alternate ways, and I would never know if they did have a qualification. But the thing is, there are alot of very talented 10-15 year old people who can make some seriously cool stuff, but then they claim to make professional backgrounds, and for that to be, they have to be professional their self, and for that they would have to have taken courses and stuff to get this qualification, and usually this comes in collage and things and there is an age for that, so unless these people are so smart they can go to collage courses at a young age, which is unlikely, they would not qualify to be a pro GFX artist or whatever they do. Some say their work is copyrighted, that would require paying or being with a company, adding a TM or copyright symbol doesn't make it officially copyrighted! But no harm or anything, just something that makes me a little mad...

However I do see the good points, yeah it does get more people interested, and it does make the expectations go a little higher. But I think, this is just my opinion, but I think they should say it is professional looking, or professional style, because it's not an actual pro design, so it is a lie. Your probably thinking, yeah, no big deal, not harming anyone. And yes it isn't doing anything bad but I feel people just shouldn't claim to be something they are not (not yet anyway).

To round this off nicely, i'm not asking anyone to change, this is just a point i'd like to share, adding that it is professional does help, so changing it is not needed, nothing is wrong with doing it. This is just how I feel about this whole thing, yes i'm going to get alot of people getting mad at me, maybe even people who are the ones who make bg who say are professional, maybe you are, I wouldn't be suprised, perhaps all of these people are pro's but trust me, there are people out there who claim to be professional when they are not, so just watch out, lol ;)
A few things to point out :
1) If you create something original to you, that claim a basic level of copyright in itself :) it`s like if you upload a video of yourself to youtube, it`s copyright to you.
2)If you`re getting one for free, does it matter if it`s bad, just say I don`t like it and I`ll find someone else...

I don`t mind this, What I mind is people charging for terrible GFX...
Plus mine just says GFX expert ;)

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
1) If you create something original to you, that claim a basic level of copyright in itself :) it`s like if you upload a video of yourself to youtube, it`s copyright to you.
2)If you`re getting one for free, does it matter if it`s bad, just say I don`t like it and I`ll find someone else...

heck yeah! good point there, people charge way to much for something that isn't even good!

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger

At least he's modest ;D

ChannelOlli

High quality gaming guides!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Designers use the term professional to indicate they put a lot of work in their projects and they aren't a random noob. :)

Reactions: Shane.Vultra

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Designers use the term professional to indicate they put a lot of work in their projects and they aren't a random noob. :)
It hardly means anything. The word professional gets tossed around so much these days that it barely has as much meaning as it used to.
Have a look at this image, http: //i.imgur. com/L6rCUNs.png it was done by a professional yet it is still very bad.

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The term professional denotes that a person earns money from what they do. Hence the term 'this is my profession' which is a posh term for job.

Shane has the right idea saying 'expert' which is obviously just someone who's keyed in on that topic.