Problem with DXTory not recording.

aussj4link

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I use DXTory and because of the massive file sizes that it creates, I went out and bought a 3tb external HDD. However when I set it to record to a folder on the HDD, it doesn't do it. It does when set to any folder on my PC's HDD but not the external. In game, the numbers turn red while recording but when I stop it and go to the external, it's not there. If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd be very grateful.

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Do you have multiple folders selected in Dxtory for where files can save?

In addition if you want some extra help Dxtory is terrible for recording video, i use it to record audio make sure it films at 10 FPS at a resolution of 10x10 and then record with shadowplay it will help you far better and reduce lag.

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but dxtory may have a failsafe against recording to an external hard drive. Generally speaking it would work way slower than it should and the strain on the USB connection could cause the external to fail in some way. I'm my opinion, it would work better to transfer all your files to the external after recording, but it can still be dangerous. I've lost weeks of recordings from a hard drive not working anymore.

Have you set dxtory to record with h.264 settings? That'll keep your file sizes super low

aussj4link

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do you have multiple folders selected in Dxtory for where files can save?

In addition if you want some extra help Dxtory is terrible for recording video, i use it to record audio make sure it films at 10 FPS at a resolution of 10x10 and then record with shadowplay it will help you far better and reduce lag.
Interesting. I tried using shadow play but it seemed to be much worse on lag. Several games became unplayable when I tried it. No, I only have the 1 folder selected that's on the External.

I'm not sure, but dxtory may have a failsafe against recording to an external hard drive. Generally speaking it would work way slower than it should and the strain on the USB connection could cause the external to fail in some way. I'm my opinion, it would work better to transfer all your files to the external after recording, but it can still be dangerous. I've lost weeks of recordings from a hard drive not working anymore.

Have you set dxtory to record with h.264 settings? That'll keep your file sizes super low
You could be right. The extrenal uses USB 3.0 but I'm thinking that might not be fast enough. I did the benchmark and it went to 190mb/s. I thought this was too high but it wouldn't let me change it. It's possible that that's the cause of it not recording. Yep I do use h.264 and the lagarith lossless codec. Which that codec has really really improved my framerate in game. Like with Subnautica I record in 30 minute segments. This usually produces about 90gb files. I like to record several segments in one sitting so that I have content to make throughout the week so at 90gb a pop, I fill my hdd fast. I may have to transfer the files over to the external after each segment.