Poor retention on a royalty-free music channel..

LonePeakMusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi guys !

So the title is pretty self explanatory : the retention on my royalty free music channel is pretty bad even though the music is not. I know that it's really hard to get people's attention with your own music in general..
Retention is pretty hard to get just because of the nature of my channel : since it's only music I can't use story telling techniques so keep people watching, plus the music I make is mostly background music, so it's basically designed not to grab too much attention.

It'd love to hear any tips you may have to increase the retention in such a situation.

Cheers !

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
As a NCS user I can tell you I use it in two ways: I listen to about 10 to 30 seconds of it to decided if I will download it or not OR I have a mix on in the background that I will listen to front to back. If you haven't yet, maybe compile your songs into a 30 or 60 min video that people can listen to and link all the individual songs in the description. This way people will listen to your mix and maybe pick up a song they like. I don't really know how to raise the retention of your individual songs though, because of the nature of your channel.

Reactions: LonePeakMusic

LonePeakMusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If you haven't yet, maybe compile your songs into a 30 or 60 min video that people can listen to and link all the individual songs in the description.
This is definitely a great idea. I was planning to so so, but later. At the moment I have only 15 songs that explore some very different music styles (from heavy metal to relaxation music). Do you think that a mix with such style disparities would be okay or should I way so that I can make a couple of mixes (one for rock, one for metal, one for relaxation ,etc...) ?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
This is definitely a great idea. I was planning to so so, but later. At the moment I have only 15 songs that explore some very different music styles (from heavy metal to relaxation music). Do you think that a mix with such style disparities would be okay or should I way so that I can make a couple of mixes (one for rock, one for metal, one for relaxation ,etc...) ?
People often want mixes to have a uniform theme. Personally I will search for BG music mixes or epic music mixes. You can imagine it wouldn't be very nice to listen to relaxing music and all of the sudden get hit by a heavy metal track :p That being said, you could make a showcase (and even use this as your channel trailer). Maybe call it LonePeak Summer Showcase and put in all the tracks you made in those three months (or do it for half a year if you're short on tracks.

Jimmy21

Reaction score
As someone else said, people are scrolling through your songs to figure out what songs they want to download