Plethora of questions!

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Hey, I have a bunch of questions about copyright related subjects. Please don't answer my questions unless you are positive they are correct! Thanks.

1. Once you receive a copyright strike, what happens? Does it ever go away? Can you make it go away?

2. If I purposely turn off monetization for a video, what freedom am I given in comparison to monetizing a video?

3. Is it necessary to ask permission for commonly used songs, such as; "I Believe I Can Fly - R. Kelly"

4. I know this happens. If I use music that I have written permission to use, or play a game that states that I am allowed to upload their content to YouTube, and I STILL receive a copyright strike, what should I do?

5. If I receive a copyright strike, am I permanently banished from (good) partnerships? Or can I do something about that to become eligible once again for these networks?

6. What tips do you have for me, that can protect me from copyright strikes, besides the obvious.

THANKS

LyfeWithDragons

Mother of Dragons...Wait...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'll skip down to six, because it's most important and can actually answer the other questions as well!

Do. Not. Upload. Content. That's. Not. Yours. :D

Reactions: Shane

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Hey, I have a bunch of questions about copyright related subjects. Please don't answer my questions unless you are positive they are correct! Thanks.

1. Once you receive a copyright strike, what happens? Does it ever go away? Can you make it go away?

2. If I purposely turn off monetization for a video, what freedom am I given in comparison to monetizing a video?

3. Is it necessary to ask permission for commonly used songs, such as; "I Believe I Can Fly - R. Kelly"

4. I know this happens. If I use music that I have written permission to use, or play a game that states that I am allowed to upload their content to YouTube, and I STILL receive a copyright strike, what should I do?

5. If I receive a copyright strike, am I permanently banished from (good) partnerships? Or can I do something about that to become eligible once again for these networks?

6. What tips do you have for me, that can protect me from copyright strikes, besides the obvious.

THANKS
1. No more monetization, less than 15 minute video length limit. lasts 6 months. No
2. There is no difference.
3. Yes, but you won't get it.
4. Dispute the strike.
5. Networks can partner when all strikes have fallen off. 6 months.
6. Stop thinking about doing what you're thinking about doing and find something else. These questions illustrate you're already trying to skirt the line between legit and not.

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
6. Stop thinking about doing what you're thinking about doing and find something else. These questions illustrate you're already trying to skirt the line between legit and not.
I just want to put sound effects and music into my videos to make it more entertaining. :/

UncomPeted

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'll skip down to six, because it's most important and can actually answer the other questions as well!

Do. Not. Upload. Content. That's. Not. Yours. :D
This pretty much sums it up.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what it's used for; you just can't use music that you don't own.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I just want to put sound effects and music into my videos to make it more entertaining. :/
What you're looking for then, if I may be so bold as to adjust your direction, is a license referred to as Creative Commons Attribution 3.0. Do a google search for either sound effects or music along with that license name and you'll find numerous sites that offer content you can use.

What the CCA3 license does is stipulate that you can use the content licensed under it for no cost to yourself as long as you credit the original creator of the piece. It also has rules about how that credit needs to look.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0

Anything that includes popular music or other major publisher kind of stuff is about the best way you have to get your channel shut down, so avoid it and go for Creative Commons material. :)

Chrisicut

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
What you're looking for then, if I may be so bold as to adjust your direction, is a license referred to as Creative Commons Attribution 3.0. Do a google search for either sound effects or music along with that license name and you'll find numerous sites that offer content you can use.

What the CCA3 license does is stipulate that you can use the content licensed under it for no cost to yourself as long as you credit the original creator of the piece. It also has rules about how that credit needs to look.

Anything that includes popular music or other major publisher kind of stuff is about the best way you have to get your channel shut down, so avoid it and go for Creative Commons material. :)
thanks