Please Help! I need a new camera.

DJPaul

Reaction score
I hope someone here can offer me some advice. I need a new camera and my internet searching is leaving me more confused. The problem is I have to get one fast.

I wanted to try vlogging when I go away to Cambodia and Thailand, but I've just discovered something wrong with my camera (the image flickers, especially when I move the camera). I've been unable to find a place that could repair it and considering that it's a bit old (it's a Lumix DMC-TZ2 that I bought about 9 years ago) I thought it might be best to just upgrade to a new one. The problem is, I leave for Cambodia in a few weeks, so I don't have much time to make a decision and just looking at all these cameras, with different specs that I really don't understand, it's making my head hurt, lol. I don't know what half of these things mean and I don't want to spend a lot of money only to discover it's not right for me. That's where you lovely people come in. Can someone please help me find a camera.

As I said, I don't know all technical stuff, so if I just tell you what I need and what I'm going to do, maybe someone will know what camera would be most suitable.

- 1080p (one of the few technical things I do know)
- I'll be walking around filming, so something that minimises how shaky the video looks
- Something light and compact
- Good audio. I'd like to avoid hearing the wind. Will I need an external mic? If so, what one would be best?
- Filming in low lighting
- A waterproof case. I would love to film some underwater shots.
- My price range is up to about £300 (I don't know if that's optimistic), but I will probably try to buy second hand on eBay or something, and I might be able to pay a bit more if it's a really good camera.

I think that's everything. I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

Spook

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you want underwater shots go with a gopro, they shoot in 1080 and there are mounts available that stabilize the camera, however you would need an external mic, something along the lines of a rhode shotgun mic, which you would need a tascam to record onto.

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would get a Sony HX80 or a Sony A5000. I have the HX80 and it is decent and still better than today's high-end phones. It has a flip up screen, records in 1080p 30fps, but you will want to get some Micovers to reduce the wind noise. There is no external mic jack.

DJPaul

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you're advice is much appreciated.

Crown - Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Spook - I've heard a lot of good things about the GoPro, but every video I've seen that uses a GoPro has a distortion effect, like a fish eye lens, where straight edges curve at the edge of the screen. I really don't like the way that looks.

Dismal Bliss - I didn't know you can get Micovers for built-in mics, that's why I thought I'd need an external mic. I'll have a look at those cameras you mentioned, although now I know that all I need is a Micover, I might reconsider the Canon Powershot S110 that I was looking at. The only reason I decided against it was the lack of an external mic jack.

Reactions: Crown

Envision Adventure

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have a Sony RX100 that I use for vlogging, it can't take an external mic, so I use a micover to help stop the wind noise. I don't know what you're looking to spend, but I've heard the Canon G7X is a great vlogging camera as well. If you want a camera with external mic you might have to get a DSLR, which is gonna cost a bit more.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I read Canon G7X is the one.

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have a Sony RX100 that I use for vlogging, it can't take an external mic, so I use a micover to help stop the wind noise. I don't know what you're looking to spend, but I've heard the Canon G7X is a great vlogging camera as well. If you want a camera with external mic you might have to get a DSLR, which is gonna cost a bit more.
I am also using a Sony RX100 V with a Micover for my channel's videos. It's perfect for 99% of the stuff I do. The G7X Mark 2 would be the only thing comparable from Canon in the point and shoot category.

For the rare times I need an external mic, I either use my music studio equipment or my little Zoom H1 and then sync it up in editing.

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's going to be hard to get that range of features for a low price. In general with cameras, one of the biggest things you're paying for is low-light quality. Anything can look good with the sun is out and there is a crazy amount of light, but when it's darker things are a lot harder.

I mostly use DSLRs, and with them you can get multiple lenses which gives you a ton of flexibility. You can get a 50mm prime lens that'll let in a ton of light and have a shallow depth of field (so you can shoot when it's dark and get that 'cinematic' look). You can also get zoom lenses, which tend to have an image stabilizer and allow you to see a lot (good for vlogging yourself) and zoom in on stuff.

DSLRs also allow you to take pictures if you think you'd ever be interested in that.

I'm a Canon guy, and I personally own a t4i (don't go lower than that, the t3i is garbage. mine is old, the current one in this line is the t6i). But for more money you can get a 70d or 6D and get much better low live performance and picture quality.

I use external mics as well, I use a Shure VP83f, which is the best camera-mounted shotgun you can buy in my opinion. It records internally so you bypass the camera's crappy preamps, and your audio is a lot cleaner.

With all of that said, DSLRs are not made to be wet (some are weather sealed, but you don't want to go swimming with them haha), and they are going to cost more.

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Canon powershot series is great for what you want. Minus the waterproof part. Depending on how often you'll be doing underwater stuff I would recommend a GoPro Hero 4.