Planning your videos

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When doing your videos do you put in a lot of planning and scripting first or do you just go with the flow of things with only a small amount of thinking ahead? Which works best for you do you think and which way has produced the better videos?

For me I plan a little but not so much as my videos dont really need that much planning, I hope that I have a channel some day where the videos need a lot of thought, planning and scripting put into them before being able to record.

Neakiaro

Banned
Reaction score
With my videos, I kind of think what I am going to do, nothing more to be honest. Like my Paint.net tutorials, I just get an image of something I've premade, and think "Right, this is what I know how to do and this is what I am going to teach people.", turn on my software and start recording. No planning beyond that.

TheDutch1K

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Same here. Since I mostly do gaming stuff, and Live commentaries at that, there is no planning whatsoever. Some video's, like the new series I'm doing on how to win Free For All games do take a little bit of planning, but I mostly just talk about what I'm seeing on screen, and what I do in the video. So I can talk as I watch the gameplay.

zeeeeeeek

YourStreetPerformer
Reaction score
If you want quality content you must put alot of thought and even more effort. If you beleive you can succeed then you will succeed.

Neakiaro

Banned
Reaction score
If you want quality content you must put alot of thought and even more effort. If you beleive you can succeed then you will succeed.
Ok, how do you plan a live gaming commentary, then?

zeeeeeeek

YourStreetPerformer
Reaction score
Ok, how do you plan a live gaming commentary, then?
I suggest playing a certain level until you find every nick and cranny of that level then you write down all the things you want to show your viewers about that level. then start recording and showing your viewers everything on that list. on live gaming sometimes things don't turn out the way you want it to so you start again and use your previous errors or mistakes as tips in your final version of the recording.

Neakiaro

Banned
Reaction score
I suggest playing a certain level until you find every nick and cranny of that level then you write down all the things you want to show your viewers about that level. then start recording and showing your viewers everything on that list. on live gaming sometimes things don't turn out the way you want it to so you start again and use your previous errors or mistakes as tips in your final version of the recording.
Live gaming commentaries are talking about the game you are playing at the same time. If you play a free-for-all, you are commentating a free-for-all. You dont know what will happen after the countdown ends. You can be cross-map nubetubed or not. Do you plan that in a script for an online game that you are going to be playing with no predicament? Do you plan in your script before you play the game the words "I just got killed by a camper"?

zeeeeeeek

YourStreetPerformer
Reaction score
Live gaming commentaries are talking about the game you are playing at the same time. If you play a free-for-all, you are commentating a free-for-all. You dont know what will happen after the countdown ends. You can be cross-map nubetubed or not. Do you plan that in a script for an online game that you are going to be playing with no predicament? Do you plan in your script before you play the game the words "I just got killed by a camper"?
As i have mentioned earlier you can't prepare for unforeseen events. But you can warn your audience of certain places on a map that users tend to camp in order to pick off or snipe other players.

Token

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Chris on this one. I think it would be interesting to see a video explaining nooks and crannies MAYBE once...but after that, it'd just be redundant. Although, I always prefer voiceovers. But that's just me, and I'm not the biggest game watcher on youtube (prefer starcraft commentary, myself).

As for me...I don't plan that much. 2 Guys on a Couch gets more planning than I'm Feeling Lucky simply for the fact that it's scripted. I usually do I'm Feeling Lucky in a six hour stretch the night before I upload.

zeeeeeeek

YourStreetPerformer
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Chris on this one. I think it would be interesting to see a video explaining nooks and crannies MAYBE once...but after that, it'd just be redundant. Although, I always prefer voiceovers. But that's just me, and I'm not the biggest game watcher on youtube (prefer starcraft commentary, myself).

As for me...I don't plan that much. 2 Guys on a Couch gets more planning than I'm Feeling Lucky simply for the fact that it's scripted. I usually do I'm Feeling Lucky in a six hour stretch the night before I upload.
I think an audience may be more interested in videos that provide tips on beating certain games. You cant really upload a 20 minute video of game-play and expect a large audience unless the game has yet to hit the shelves.