Phishing scam alert! Heads up!

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Beware, scammers posing as YouTube are now sending out official looking emails on YouTube letterhead that tell you that one of your videos (they will show a specific title of yours) has been claimed by a third party. It's very convincing as they are using the exact same text as an actual YouTube email.

They provide a link and it takes you to sign in to your account, looking like the Google/YouTube sign in. Beware, this is not a YouTube or Google site! It directs you to a lookalike site to gather your login information. Even if you have second verification text code sent to your phone as a security measure, you could still be tricked into typing in your verification code because it looks like it's the real site.

DO NOT click on any links that are sent to you in an email! If you're not sure, you can always log into YouTube from your own bookmarks, NOT using the links in the email. Then just pull up your videos and you'll see if one of them has in fact been claimed.

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
Always read the URL ! Always!! :D Thanks for the heads up

Reactions: babyteeth4

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yikes!! :S That's good to know! x_x

I've moved this to the main YouTube forum! I think it'll be noticed a bit more here. =)

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great reminder! When you get such an email, don't click the link. Go directly to the site, log in and look for the info.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Oh, wow. Will scammers never end? Imagine if all these people focused their energies on something productive.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Good advice. I'll leave this thread in the main section so a maximum number of people see it and then I'll pin it to the "copyright section". :)