Permission to be in video

Scandinavian Freckles

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi everyone !!

Hope you all had an amazing weekend.
I have a bit of a question that I need help with.

I was wondering, when you feature other people in your video, let's say a friend or a family member, you obviously ask them if they are ok with being in your video, but what if after the video goes up they change their mind? What kind of proof do you get of them saying they are ok? Do you just ask them and that's it or do you record them saying yes and save it?

I know this sound a bit weird but I am scared to feature someone in my video who then can get me in trouble if they change their mind, but I don't feel like it is a normal thing to record people saying they are ok to be in the video...

What do you guys do / think??

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Just write on a piece of paper "(Their name) gives permission to be in my YouTube video" and get them to sign it and date it, then store it somewhere safe. Although I doubt you'd ever have an issue and you can always blur peoples faces using the YT editor after it's been released :)

Reactions: Ciarra deBritto

JRuncie

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just write on a piece of paper "(Their name) gives permission to be in my YouTube video" and get them to sign it and date it, then store it somewhere safe. Although I doubt you'd ever have an issue and you can always blur peoples faces using the YT editor after it's been released :)
I know in Canada we have FOIP forms. (Freedom of Information..... something) They release the individual to use their photo, video etc as they please. Maybe you could adopt one of these?

Ciarra deBritto

Bringing your imagination to life.
Reaction score
Yup, professionally you would have someone fill out a disclosure form that says "I allowed this person to record me and post the footage publicly"

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Here in the UK the law states that if filming takes place on private property you must get permission to film people, if it's public property like streets and parks, council buildings etc it's fair game and nothing anyone can do about it. Your situation doesn't sound too worrying, like others have said if your own family has a problem later on, blur them out and say 'your loss, now you won't be famous!' Haha

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have done this for my Documentary Film. I have them sign a contract that states where they will be shown including their likeness voice etc. For my next film I'm going to start having people state on the video itself who they are and that it's fine to use them and have them say out loud what I'm using them for. That way if there is any question later as to whether they actually signed something there is a recording of it. I had a friend who had someone sign something. Turns out this guy was on some sort of medication for something and he wasn't aware he signed anything so when he sued my friend it became a heated battle whether he even signed in the first place and his handwriting was actually different because of the medication he was on. YIKES

Johnny_Seagull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
If you're concerned about somebody doing a 180 and withdrawing consent, you need them to sign a release form, and make sure they 100% understand how and where the film is going to be used. You can also record them on camera saying they give permission etc etc, but that signed piece of paper is the main thing.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If you're concerned about somebody doing a 180 and withdrawing consent, you need them to sign a release form, and make sure they 100% understand how and where the film is going to be used. You can also record them on camera saying they give permission etc etc, but that signed piece of paper is the main thing.
It was a release form my friend had the guy sign. But because he was on medication he forgot he signed it.

Johnny_Seagull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
It was a release form my friend had the guy sign. But because he was on medication he forgot he signed it.
Yeah I get ya man. Wasn't singling you out, was just replying to the thread as a whole. I guess in your friend's case, it turns into a moral dilemma; if the subject wasn't in their right mind when they signed the form, does it then become the moral obligation of the filmmaker to respect the subject's wish for it to be removed? Legally perhaps not, but its something to consider. What was the outcome, by the way?

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yeah I get ya man. Wasn't singling you out, was just replying to the thread as a whole. I guess in your friend's case, it turns into a moral dilemma; if the subject wasn't in their right mind when they signed the form, does it then become the moral obligation of the filmmaker to respect the subject's wish for it to be removed? Legally perhaps not, but its something to consider. What was the outcome, by the way?
The outcome was that a family member of his has to legally sign off on it because he couldn't. The film was already shown at festivals and about a month after the film was shown and sold is when the guy reported he never signed anything. But because the judge in the case knew he shouldn't of signed it but appeared he did he granted a family member to give consent otherwise I would have had to cut him out of future showings which at that point wouldn't of been impossible.