People re-uploading your videos on other social media platforms

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi Everyone!

I've recently been getting into Instagram (it's so much easier to do than YouTube, lol!), but I've noticed a lot of my YouTube videos had already been floating around on Instagram. Some of them even hit top-ranking results for incredibly competitive tags at the time they were posted, often getting thousands of views! But none of those top-ranking videos are actually on my Instagram account. They were uploaded by other people -- sometimes they even add their own watermark lol:
At least in THAT particular example, the uploader tagged my "official" Instagram account. I've found other video uploads where my name is nowhere to be found, and lots of people in the comments are asking who the musician is... >.> The only reason I could find the above example again was because the uploader tagged me... I'm cool with people uploading my stuff as long as they credit me at least somewhere. :(

I've noticed there are lots and lots of Instagram accounts dedicated to uploading YouTube content they didn't make in order to grow their own audience -- kind of like what people used to do on YouTube -- only it seems Instagram hasn't yet sanctioned them for re-uploading content like YouTube has. :S In fact, it appears Instagram is supporting them by growing their accounts faster because the uploaders appear to the algorithm as having an endless stream of high-quality content.

I personally am not too bothered that people are re-uploading my stuff. It's a little odd for me to see a video I've made do super well on Instagram, and it's a little odd to watch other random accounts reaping the benefits of being able to upload daily since they don't have to actually make the content...... And it's odd to watch the videos I post on there only do mediocre (mostly because I can't post every day, which seems to be Instagram's important key detail to grow your account), but at least my stuff is getting out there somehow.

However, I know many members on this site would be SUPER UPSET if they came across people using their content to grow their social media accounts. YouTube is starting to provide tools to help us find duplicate uploads within YouTube, but they seem to be ahead of their time right now. I don't think there's a way to find duplicate uploads on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc...And many of the uploads were uploaded BEFORE I can add my "official" version to a particular social media site. If those other social media sites were to create similar tools to help us track our content, and if I were to upload my "official version," I wonder if my version might be the one tagged as the duplicate since it would be uploaded later? :eek:

So, what do you guys do when you find your content being uploaded on random social media accounts that aren't on YouTube? Do you think we can stop it, or do you think there are too many social media outlets out there now that it's kind of a losing battle? :eek: Do you actively seek out these videos, or do you only run across them when you sign up for your own social media account on a particular site?

I'm just curious what other people think. :) And if you didn't know about content farms uploading your YouTube videos on Instagram, I'd suggest to keep an eye out for it. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Crown

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
People freeboot YouTube videos on other social platforms since ages. Last year, I made a topic about my videos on Facebook, where some of the re-uploads had millions of views and the videos I found in fast search were with over 50 million views total.

You can file DMCA claim with Facebook (instagram) and they will take the videos down very fast and usually they penalise the accounts even after two strikes.

For new uploads you can apply for Rights Manager (Facebooks own ContentID), but it is not retroactive.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can understand your content being susceptible to free booting. It's a shame. Most of my content is not likely to encounter that problem but if I find something, I would request it to be removed.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Wow, that's bad. They even have their avatar as someone playing the violin but I bet he/she doesn't even play the violin. He's onlt tagged you to try and appease you. It's still copyright infringement and I'd file a claim. I'm pretty sure all social media sites have a DMCA takedown process. Here is the one for IG https://help.instagram.com/454951664593304

All you would need to do is show the upload date on Youtube that it is before the date on instagram. With DCMA claims, the offender is "guilty until proven innocent" - ie It's up them to prove they own the content. :)

Reactions: KatyAdelson