People are watching my videos consistently, but 91% of my views are from NON-SUBSCRIBERS

boyhapay

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
hi!

I just discovered this forum. I have been making instrumental guitar content on youtube actively since 2017 and have grown my channel to 20k subs @ 4.8M views. I can't figure out why 91% of my views come from UNSUBSCRIBED viewers, I get an average of 25-35 subscribers per day. I'd love to hear your thoughts please? Thanks guys!

Here's my channel www.youtube.com/boyhapay

people are watching but not subs.png

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the review / feedback forum. :)

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
your graph is nearly identical to mine, though mines closer to 93%.
It's not a particularly bad thing, check your traffic sources, if your views are coming from suggested and browse features, and home, then that's great!

OpiumSymposium

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I don't think it's that unusual to have more views from unsubscribed viewers than from subscribers but 91% is quite a lot. I'm a much, much smaller channel but I experience similar issues since only 15% of my views come from my subscribers. Besides, sometimes YouTube analytics are not correct. I was suspicious of it myself so I tested it by watching my 11 minute long video on a friend's phone and it showed that it was watched for 3 minutes. YouTube analytics can be flawed and sometimes show wrong number of views or subscribers. In the past a lot of Youtubers complained that YouTube doesn't show new subscribers at all.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
80.7% here and growing as of late.

That's OK, that means YT is recommending you to people who don't know about your channel. Also, most likely a large portion of your recurring viewers aren't subscribed to you. The YT algorithm curates Homepage and Suggested videos to the extreme these days, so it's expected that most of your viewers won't be your subscribers.

Me personally, I rarely subscribe to new channels these days, yet I follow dozens of them - YT algo keeps popping their videos on my Homepage and Suggestions for me, so why would I even bother?

NateStanley

Editor / Creator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Lovely content!

Know your audience! I took a glance at your channel and looked your account up on social blade to get a gist of what's going on.

It appears as though some of your biggest upticks in subscribers coincide with you uploading covers of of Filipino music. Taking a glance at your YouTube about page it appears you yourself are Filipino and are far more qualified on discussing your culture than I, but I believe your subscribers are probably more interested in the Filipino themed content. Undoubtibly, you'll get more clicks from non-subscribers if you upload videos that don't appear similar with what your subscribers initially viewed.

What I'd recommend is this:

Go to the Youtube Studio > Analytics > Audience > Top Countries

Get a feel for what your audience is and try to either curtail the content for them or try to change the content and feel of your channel to better represent it how you'd like to.

Reactions: Reetae27