People abandon my videos as soon as they start

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi all,

So I've been in a dilemma with my channel. Literally as soon as they start loads of people abandon them straight away and I've literally got no idea why. I've got a hook at the beginning of the videos (or at least what I think is a hook) but it doesn't seem to be working. I'd love to hear how you go about getting a good retention score.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Jitter Flicks

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
People just drop out. Even very big channels have shown me that 30-40% leave after a few seconds, so don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. I wish 100% of people would watch 100% of the video but just isn’t that way

Reactions: videoeditgr

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Your videos are really good quality and look like 100k youtubers. So, I think it is just about that people are not interested in that content probably. You will need time that people who are interested in your niche discover you and then you will have more retention score. For me, it is around 1.43min average before they leave so that is also not impressive but at least for that 2min I can deliver some messages. :D

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
People just drop out. Even very big channels have shown me that 30-40% leave after a few seconds, so don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. I wish 100% of people would watch 100% of the video but just isn’t that way
Oh really, I'd love to see some of those retention graphs, but yeah that the sort of abandonment I'm seeing. Thanks, I'm not saying I'm happy that people see similar graphs, that's definitely given me a confidence boost.

Your videos are really good quality and look like 100k youtubers. So, I think it is just about that people are not interested in that content probably. You will need time that people who are interested in your niche discover you and then you will have more retention score. For me, it is around 1.43min average before they leave so that is also not impressive but at least for that 2min I can deliver some messages. :D
Thanks a lot for that, I'm really happy to hear that. Yeah I know that there are definitely people who are interested in that niche, as I'm in some of their groups on Facebook, but I can't exactly spam my channel in them. Yeah that's a good way to look at it, with them at least getting value within the average time they watch it.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
In terms of criticism, I just too a quick look at your last two uploads, which each start the same way, with a short bit of your review, then an opening title sequence, and then going into your personal history with the movie, then a bit about the movie. What I'd say is to get right into the review right away and see if that ups retention rates. I think people who want reviews or critique tend to want to get to the meat of the matter right away, so it may be worthwhile to shake up your usual approach to see how that affects your analytics.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
People just drop out. Even very big channels have shown me that 30-40% leave after a few seconds, so don’t think you’re doing anything wrong
Yep that is just the way it is so dont worry too much about it. As mentioned here even BIG channels have high % leaving within 5 seconds or so. Your videos are pretty good so dont you worry:)

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I cant check your channel right now as I am at work but do your thumbnails/titles show true content?
IE do people click on your videos expecting to see something and then the video is very different?

Jitter Flicks

Best Family Channel
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Stike96 You make amazing videos and your editing skills are top notch! You are just starting out. Give it time. I'm telling you, you're going to pick up with time. We get better as we grow and learn more. I wish I edited like you.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In terms of criticism, I just too a quick look at your last two uploads, which each start the same way, with a short bit of your review, then an opening title sequence, and then going into your personal history with the movie, then a bit about the movie. What I'd say is to get right into the review right away and see if that ups retention rates. I think people who want reviews or critique tend to want to get to the meat of the matter right away, so it may be worthwhile to shake up your usual approach to see how that affects your analytics.
Ok thanks, i'll give that a go with my next one or two videos and see what happens!

Yep that is just the way it is so dont worry too much about it. As mentioned here even BIG channels have high % leaving within 5 seconds or so. Your videos are pretty good so dont you worry:)
Thanks, I'm really happy that you like them :).

I cant check your channel right now as I am at work but do your thumbnails/titles show true content?
IE do people click on your videos expecting to see something and then the video is very different?
I feel like they're pretty accurate, they are just made up of a character(s) from the movie (usually the main character(s) and a background from the movie.

@Stike96 You make amazing videos and your editing skills are top notch! You are just starting out. Give it time. I'm telling you, you're going to pick up with time. We get better as we grow and learn more. I wish I edited like you.
Thanks so much for that, I really appreciate the praise. I did have a tech channel before but reviewing movies is very different to it so I'm definitely still trying to learn and improve (with retention rate being something that I wanted to focus on now).

Reactions: Jitter Flicks

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Im going to be the counter balance here.
I like youre vids, they seem really good but have yet to tap in their potential.
Youre videos just dont grab me, i loved the movies you review and yet when is ee youre videos i feel the urge to just move on. Something is missing that is just not grabing me. Id vote to say its youre tone of voice might be too low and videos is very low enegy. If i see a review of emperos grove, i expect to see a high,fast cut funny skits reviews.

Youre in the right track, just missing that Umph