Channel Type
Youtuber
Last edited:

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Is it possible you could say criticism with humor infused? Would that hold up as fair use? I don't plan on making that type of content but it would be nice to know just in case :D

ytparodyrap

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I make songs very similar to Weird Al and still get hit with the copyright on some of the videos... they copyright the background music.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I make songs very similar to Weird Al and still get hit with the copyright on some of the videos... they copyright the background music.
The musical composition has its own copyright. So If you are using the original tune with parodied lyrics, of course you will be hit with copyright claims!

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
keep in mind most weird al songs aren't parodies they are satire. Al himself has stated this is why he gets permission

Reactions: UKHypnotist

ytparodyrap

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you are doing satire, then you must license the background music if you wish to not have the video monetized by the copyright owner or struck and removed from your channel.
I'm not looking to make money off it. If they have a problem, they could remove it.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I'm not looking to make money off it. If they have a problem, they could remove it.
I hope you're aware that three copyright takedowns will terminate your channel; so I wouldn't act so complacent about the possibility.

Once a channel is terminated, its owner is banned from YouTube for life; and prohibited from owning, accessing or creating any further channels. If the banned owner has multiple channels or accounts, each will be found and terminated eventually.

You'd therefore be much better off licensing your backing tracks.

Reactions: Shakycow