Paid Views Experiment (Google's Ad Services)

phayilgaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have always been against paying for views, normally they do nothing for you channel and you end up paying a lot of money for no return. Yes you get lots of views, but normally they are either fake views, or placed on websites that have no relation to your videos.

Then it dawned on my that Google do their own Google Ad service, so I thought, why not give it a go.

I feel that it is a much better option because you only pay when interested people click on your content. That means the chances of that paid view is substantially higher because its something that has caught their eye. The cost (in my opinion anyway) is not that bad. I am paying about 1 penny per view. I I applied for an ad last night at midnight, and it probably went live at around 6am the next day. I set a budget of £1 a day.

So, has it worked?

I guess it depends how you define "Worked". It has increased my views most definitely. I have had around 200 views since it has gone live. However, my subscriber count has not increased.

Now, there could be several reasons for this:

A) My trailer isnt good and people arent interested
B) Im targeting the wrong people
C) My ad is setup incorrectly

Point C is definitely true I think. I was doing both in-stream (ads before other videos) and in-display (shows as sponsored on searches and by other videos). In my opinion (as a gaming channel anyway), in-steam wont bring in subscribers as it would be more of an annoyance. I have since changed it to in-display only, and I am waiting to see the results.

As all my videos are in a playlist, some of my other videos have also got a few more views, however, I dont know yet if this is from the paid content, or just people coming across my videos through other means.

Another thing I have learnt is that they dont accept swearing of any kind! So I havent been able to add another video to test further. I will be uploading a video tonight which is swear-free, so I am hoping that it will be accepted and I can test further to see what happens.

So, do I think it has been worth it so far? Yes and no. My views have definitely increased, but they have yet to turn into subscribers. I will continue to experiment and let you know my findings.

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Buying views can get you banned my dude.

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Not from Google Ads. They are a legitimate Ad service from Google/YouTube themselves.
Ah sorry i misread.

Well heres my advice really -

You will 100% gain views but make sure the video you are promoting is not some random video, make sure it's your channel trailer that showcases what your channel is and everything it's about, this will increase interest in other videos and anyone who wants to see more will likely sub from this trailer.

Advice for a trailer is put your best content first and make sure it's a good hook to pull people in.

phayilgaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ah sorry i misread.

Well heres my advice really -

You will 100% gain views but make sure the video you are promoting is not some random video, make sure it's your channel trailer that showcases what your channel is and everything it's about, this will increase interest in other videos and anyone who wants to see more will likely sub from this trailer.

Advice for a trailer is put your best content first and make sure it's a good hook to pull people in.
Yeah. Thanks exactly what I have done :)

So far views have not turned into Subs for me, but the views are starting to come in, so my Thumbnail/Title must be doing ok!

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yeah. Thanks exactly what I have done :)

So far views have not turned into Subs for me, but the views are starting to come in, so my Thumbnail/Title must be doing ok!
Yeah just keep at it, usually subs will come spiriadically, like we get the odd 1 or 2 sub during a week then suddenly like 6-10 in one day then it cools again. Subs work in mysterious ways!

Reactions: phayilgaming

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I've been trial running Ad words since the 5th of January (It ends on the 19th) And since starting the campaign on one video on a budget of 36p a day That one videos jumped from 50 views to 368 views with 2 days growing still to go and I've picked up 4 subs along the way as well...Also; while I cant confirm that this has caused a trickle down effect of views on my other videos it does seem like a lot of people are watching my promoted video then going over to my channel to have a browse...I dont think I'd do it all the time or regularly; but monthly or Bi-monthly on particular videos I think would do well with very strict audience tailoring is seemingly a pretty sound investment...at least while my channels as small as it is :)

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Yea I think it’s misleading. It’s not actually buying views, just buying the top spot on the side or a pre roll before another vid. No promise that anyone will view them. I had little luck with them.

phayilgaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yea I think it’s misleading. It’s not actually buying views, just buying the top spot on the side or a pre roll before another vid. No promise that anyone will view them. I had little luck with them.
Kinda of.

Yes it is buying the spot at the top, but you only pay when someone clicks and views your video. There is no loss of money for not getting any views.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
That’s a good point