Our Unboxing Channel Needs TOUGH Criticism

TheValueKing

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everybody, we run a channel called TheValueKing, where we unbox cheap products that can be found on Amazon or WISH. Anyways, the thing that we do differently than any other unboxing channel, is that we do skits in each video incorporating the products that we review!

With that said, we're getting pretty decent views on our videos, but it doesn't seem like people are subscribing as often as they should, considering we get twice as many views than what we have in subs,

We're just wondering if someone can give us some feedback on our channel! Don't be afraid about sounding to mean or etc, we have thick skin haha.

The only way to grow is to improve on weak points, so if you have the time, please give us some feedback! Thank you :)!

Reactions: Spence Bailey

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I will have to check this out when I get back to my laptop. Though from what I am hearing maybe I know what the issue may be for subs...

Granted, I know a lot of people to watch stuff be unboxed, however they usually like seeing it be similar content. From what you're describing it may not all be the same types of product. So although a viewer may have enjoyed you opening a box of bendy straws because they love bendy straws, they may are your next video is you opening a box of small niche stuffed animals. Since they don't like the other products they may not be as inclined to stay for a subscription and instead just stay long enough to view the one video they found relateable.

So it really comes down to video style vs. video theme. Style being the Unboxing aspect and Theme being, do all the video share a common product?

That's just my thoughts though. I'll for sure check out the channel and see what's going on though and give a good feedback from that. This was just basically me giving my analysis from what I've experienced and noticed before when comparing channel types.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheValueKing
Reaction score
A few thoughts. I sorted by most popular and watched the highest-viewed vid.

- Tease the product at the very beginning. Check your analytics; I imagine you're having mass dropoff in the beginning due to nothing about the PC until 3:30 into the video.
- Skits are okay, see if they work out in the long term, but tighten them up. Shorter, faster cuts, faster pacing.
- It's good that the video hit 1000+ views, but don't focus on views, focus on the watch time. How long are people sticking around to view the whole video? If it's low, then you might need to jump right into the product review, THEN incorporate the skit later into the video.

An idea for you. Instead of one long skit, why not make several super short ones? Think Family Guy and how they cut away to some funny little segment in the middle of a scene. Maybe when you bring up the different pros of a smartphone, for example, one of the pros could be a super tight, super short, <5 second skit. Like maybe the phone gets too hot when it's being used. After you bring that point up, cut to a short skit of your buddy cooking an egg on top of it.

Reactions: TheValueKing

TheValueKing

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I will have to check this out when I get back to my laptop. Though from what I am hearing maybe I know what the issue may be for subs...

Granted, I know a lot of people to watch stuff be unboxed, however they usually like seeing it be similar content. From what you're describing it may not all be the same types of product. So although a viewer may have enjoyed you opening a box of bendy straws because they love bendy straws, they may are your next video is you opening a box of small niche stuffed animals. Since they don't like the other products they may not be as inclined to stay for a subscription and instead just stay long enough to view the one video they found relateable.

So it really comes down to video style vs. video theme. Style being the Unboxing aspect and Theme being, do all the video share a common product?

That's just my thoughts though. I'll for sure check out the channel and see what's going on though and give a good feedback from that. This was just basically me giving my analysis from what I've experienced and noticed before when comparing channel types.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you, that's really good feedback actually. I kinda of want our theme to be centered around gadgets and electronics, but the only reason why we don't do that is because we figured it'd come to a point where making skits for the same stuff over and over again would lead us to some roadblocks. With that said, we're thinking of dropping skits entirely, it would help us upload alot more frequently.[DOUBLEPOST=1528678335,1528678017][/DOUBLEPOST]
A few thoughts. I sorted by most popular and watched the highest-viewed vid.

- Tease the product at the very beginning. Check your analytics; I imagine you're having mass dropoff in the beginning due to nothing about the PC until 3:30 into the video.
- Skits are okay, see if they work out in the long term, but tighten them up. Shorter, faster cuts, faster pacing.
- It's good that the video hit 1000+ views, but don't focus on views, focus on the watch time. How long are people sticking around to view the whole video? If it's low, then you might need to jump right into the product review, THEN incorporate the skit later into the video.

An idea for you. Instead of one long skit, why not make several super short ones? Think Family Guy and how they cut away to some funny little segment in the middle of a scene. Maybe when you bring up the different pros of a smartphone, for example, one of the pros could be a super tight, super short, <5 second skit. Like maybe the phone gets too hot when it's being used. After you bring that point up, cut to a short skit of your buddy cooking an egg on top of it.
Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback , I really appreciate it.

- We actually are having a dropoff but it seems like it's always after the skits. Our watch time average is around 3 minutes, so I'm assuming people like the skits but don't care for the reviews. Or idk to be honest, but it's not that great lol
- we definitely want to start making the skits alot shorter

I think the idea of the small short skits, family guy style, is actually a GREAT idea. We may actually ditch the skits in the beginning and do that instead.

We started the channel with the idea of incorporating skits because that's what will help us stand out from other channels in the long run. Majority, if not all, of the unboxing channels are just fact after fact after fact, which is good, but the skits are something different. With that said, we don't want people only watching for the skits only, and I think that's what is happening at the moment. We were thinking of cutting them entirely or making them way shorter, but doing the short ones within the vid might be a better option I think.

We definitely have alot to think about! Thank you!

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
I know it's a very open minded time and age right now, but I still am a person who is immediately offended by too much language and just... rude talk in rap songs, and since you are not trying to be a channel that's all about rap but more about products, you may be turning off the demographic that thinks like me with your song choice in your skit (I watched the video about ear buds you have as your trailer). Also maybe you need to get better microphones? Something about the video just felt quiet, not sure why. I agree with the idea of punchier faster skits too, I don't think we needed two examples of white guys turning into black guys, the first one with the bench press was fine and it probably should have been over within less than a minute.

Outside of that I think you guys are good at talking about the products and stuff just... once again might could have been a bit more scripted? More to the point? I think if you could have cut the video down to around 4 to 7 minutes tops that would have been ideal. And try to think of the skits as more of an intro, if you can make us laugh in just 30 seconds and then jump right into the review I think that's gonna be best. Good luck!

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
You guys are legit charismatic. For some reason, I feel that you guys should change the name of the channel (although it is extremely relevant). Maybe using your first names (name & name), or if you guys are bros, then you can use "last name bros" or something like that. Then with the new name, you can say something along the line of "What's up guys, we're (new name) and we're the value kings!"

But honestly, you guys are already ahead of the curve compared to a lot of people on YouTube. You can't teach the charisma you guys have. From here, it's just improving your content quality such as better lighting, better cuts on your scripts, and audio. Keep it up!

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well its kind of a good news/bad news kind of thing from me guys.

The good news is your videos are great! you guys are fun, seem to have a good friendship that comes across well in your videos and you feel very natural. Theres maybe a bit of rambling here and there that could probably be trimmed out in a tighter edit but in someways that rambling works to your favour because it makes you come across as approachable and easy going which is nice! you have a good consistent style and it all feels very genuine so serious kudos!

The bad news (At least to me its bad news) is your branding. Your channel logo is nice though i'd maybe simplify the crown just a little bit more (You do know the crown in your current logo is a "Queens crown"/female design?...thought you might like to know #Imbritish) Your thumbnails are good at getting across what the videos are about but they dont have any kind of brand consistency, your logo's not in any of the thumbnails and theres no consistent fonts, colour schemes or styles that would instantly make me recognise these videos as "One from the Valueking's" so I'd maybe look into incorporating your logo into the thumbnail or at least getting a stylized border for the thumbnails/a colour pallet that you can work with to make your videos more uniform. Also; your channel art is nice...but it's maybe a little bit generic. I like the black and yellow box aesthetic but its very much at odds with your channel logos style also the city scape backdrops maybe a bit out of line with your branding too, i'd maybe try something like a photoshopped image of you guys at the review table or maybe some shots of product you've used in the past. I would either tie your channel art more closely into your logos style or change your logo so that it more reflects your channel art (It also wouldnt hurt to include a caption on your channel art talking about when you upload, what your videos are about and some images of your social media outlets (Instagram/twitter and the likes) it just helps your audience to better understand where your coming from and often you upload) :)

You have a really nice and mellow channel guys it's pretty awesome :) keep up the good work :)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Visually its a big mismatch methinks. I go to your video page and i see a banner (good one) that makes me feel i've arrived at a New York radio podcast station or something. I see your channel logo that would not look out of place on a jewellery channel of some kind. And then the thumbnails look like they came straight from a 15yo's gaming channel.

Make more videos like your most successful one 'play fortnite cheap..'. You can use that one to push other similar content you make in the same direction. Use same ish tags etc. Always exploit you best performing content.

The content/quality of your videos seems very professional! You actually have a high proportion subs for so little channel views. Your mostly just down on views there. Its a bit random but you will get a video or 2 that will take off if you keep making new stuff.

If the amazon associates if a new thing and you have made a few sales then leave now so that you get paid anything they owe you, before they assess your membership & kick you out with an automated bs email (basically to the affect that you don't have enough unique content or followers). They are quite happy to profit from your efforts/sale but will end your account and NOT pay you what your owed. They are not worth bothering with if you have less that 1k subs.. maybe 3k. And there are more honest affiliate programmes out there you can join.