Other ways of monetizing?

kingdombunniez

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As we all know video's can be monetized by using ads. But are there other ways as well to "earn" revenue with your youtube video's?

Are there peple who (succesfully) earn revenue with affiliate links? With monthly subscriptions (like on twitch). Donations? Or selling adspace on their channel (if that's possible)?

Just curious how people monetize besides ads and if so how and does it work for you?

Thnx :D

JPSRose

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I know of a few people who sell books and things at the end of their videos, its what I would intend on doing if I get a sizable following in the future.

Gourmet Gamer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I went over to Twitch because I was tired of Youtubes copyright BS. I still post to Youtube but its mostly my exports from Twitch. Point being, Ads is the primary source of revenue for most youtubers. You can do patreon as well but thats about it. You have to be big to get any kind of product placement or ad money outside of youtube.

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
1. Adsense (the ads on your videos)
2. Product Sales (T-Shirts, Books, Music, etc.)
3. Affiliate Links. These are used mostly by people who are reviewing a product and they'll get an Amazon Affiliate link to the product and if the person buys that product, you'll get a chunk of the revenue.
4. Sponsorships
5. In-Video Product Placements
6. Consulting whether it's in the field you are discussing or just on how to grow a brand.
7. Paid Speaking Gigs
8. Licensing Video Stock Footage
9. Patreon
10. Donations from Live Streaming (Twitch, YouTube, etc.)
11. Paid Membership for Your Content
12. Live Events with your Fans

Reactions: Shakycow

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
1. Adsense (the ads on your videos)
2. Product Sales (T-Shirts, Books, Music, etc.)
3. Affiliate Links. These are used mostly by people who are reviewing a product and they'll get an Amazon Affiliate link to the product and if the person buys that product, you'll get a chunk of the revenue.
4. Sponsorships
5. In-Video Product Placements
6. Consulting whether it's in the field you are discussing or just on how to grow a brand.
7. Paid Speaking Gigs
8. Licensing Video Stock Footage
9. Patreon
10. Donations from Live Streaming (Twitch, YouTube, etc.)
11. Paid Membership for Your Content
12. Live Events with your Fans
Pretty much this. Since you're a gaming-focused channel, I would pay particular attention to merchandise, affiliate links, sponsorships, and patreon.

Scottnra

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'll have to look into this Patreon thing. I have been using amazon and ebay affiliate links for a long time now and actually make more from those than YT. It works great. I would highly recommend it. You can also post AL's in FB, twitter etc, but you do need to do it properly so it does not come off as spammy. For instance if someone asks a question about a particular product that I can answer on FB in a group that I am in, I will post the answer with an AL to the product. BAM! Sales. Easy, and I was screwing around on FB anyway to it's not like work. :)

Scottnra

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As we all know video's can be monetized by using ads. But are there other ways as well to "earn" revenue with your youtube video's?

Are there peple who (succesfully) earn revenue with affiliate links? With monthly subscriptions (like on twitch). Donations? Or selling adspace on their channel (if that's possible)?

Just curious how people monetize besides ads and if so how and does it work for you?

Thnx :D
Hey, I can't reply to your message because I'm too new here so I'll answer you publicly:

It did not take long at all. I think I got my first amazon deposit on the 2nd month. Amazon makes it very easy to start and there are quite a few videos on getting set up with them. I do Ebay also, (That one is a bit harder to deal with but still worth it) and am probably going to expand into some other stuff because it's so easy to do. You have to be smart in how/when you post your links if you are going to drop them in forums or on FB. you can also use twitter, etc.

I am in multiple FB groups that are about things I'm into. (hunting, fishing, cooking/grilling/smoking, things like that) People have questions or there may be a discussion around a product that is sold on Amazon. Many times I even have that product myself. I go on amazon, get the AL, and drop it with my comment on that post. If someone clicks on it and buys it (or ANYTHING ELSE) in the next 24 hours, I get a small comission. The more items you "sell" in a month, the higher rate they pay. I also include them on my videos when using and talking about products and even have links to the actual gear I use to make my videos. Cameras,Mics etc) You can also build simple web pages with affiliate links, and google ads on them and get paid that way from your affiliates and google for the ads. I have a site for a book I wrote that generates some money off of google ads. Most of this is FREE to set up other than a little time and my YT stuff is on auto-pilot once a video is up. Videos generate different levels of business and income but most will contribute at least something.

My Review videos do pretty well too. I sell several smokers or grills every month and some of them cost hundreds of dollars so the commission is pretty good at 6 - 7%!

It's mostly in how much effort you put in and how well you can spread those links without becoming a spammer. 99% of my links are for products that I own, am going to buy, or have advanced knowledge of and I am being genuinely helpful with comments and advice posted along with the link.

Being useful and getting paid is cool. Being a spammy jerk is not and you'll get thrown out of all kinds of stuff that way. Most people don't even know that they are affiliate links and will never notice nor care if you do it right and are being helpful. Of course there area LOTS of people that hate the thought of YOU making any money at all. So don't make a big deal out if it, have fun with it and let things happen on their own.

As a great example, if this were on FB, I would post a link RIGHT HERE to a book I just read called "The 4 Hour Work Week" that has stuff like this explained in it and s a great resource for people trying to generate alternative income sources. You would not give a second thought to clicking on it even after what you just read because it's intriguing and useful. I was cheerfully helpful and if you buy something, I'd make a few cents or whatever on the item. See? Earn your commissions is the point.

hope that helps.

(I assume at AL's are a nono here as we are all on the same team. don't know, didn't ask, but you get the point)

OneSpeak

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are many ways like Product Sales, Affiliate Links, Sponsorships and Ads for sure.
I'm just using Ads for now and maybe later i would go for Product Sales.