Other Players in Gaming Video Claiming Copyright

Trolagon

Reaction score
Hello,

I making gaming videos where other players are online in my video. I heard on another gamer's channel, PopularMMOs, that he got copyrighted because other people in his video claimed a copyright on their part in the video. Hence he doesn't do online games anymore. I read the YouTube web pages but found no information about this. Has anyone else heard about it?

Thanks in advance,

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Can they be identified by name face? Then it's possible for them to put in a claim if you don't have their written permission to use their likeness.

If it's strictly their voice, it then turns into a gray area where you should be in the clear (voice isn't copyrightable), but they can still likely put in a claim and it'd be a continuing hassle.

Trolagon

Reaction score
Their voice or face is not there. Just their username. I'm pretty sure he said he had copyright claims as they're in the game.

Reaction score
Is the screen-capture of the video from your screen? If you recorded the screen-cap then it's distinctly your creation even though other people might be playing in the game. They could only copyright the content that they recorded from their own screen. The in-game content can only be claimed by the game publisher ( e.g.: Nintendo). The individual players in the game have no such claim. If someone makes a claim or strike against your original screen capture, and they are not the game publisher, you should appeal.