Opinions on posting music without a filmed video?

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
What are your opinions on posting music covers and originals without a filmed music video using art instead? Would that stop you from listening?

During this time of year my schedule with work and my involvement in the local community theater gets really busy until about July, but I want to start posting more. So that when that time of year comes I will have still posted instead of having a gap of not uploading. Hopefully, I can continue to build an audience during that time. I like variety, but with the limited time I have I will focus on my main passion which is music. My goal is to post new music every Tuesday. I do plan on sometimes filming music videos to go with the cover, but don't know how often that will be. Most of the time I plan on posting covers with a drawing I've done. (Like my recent cover of "Go The Distance" if you are wanting an example.) I am also hoping I can save up and get a better camera to make better videos in the future. Just wondering what others thought about something like this. Thanks for any input!

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
If it's a cover, I think that its important to have a video with the music. It's more intimate for the viewer, and helps with exposure.

If you're pressed for time, I would suggest you just record yourself playing the song, its more interesting than just artwork laid over the video.

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
If it's a cover, I think that its important to have a video with the music. It's more intimate for the viewer, and helps with exposure.

If you're pressed for time, I would suggest you just record yourself playing the song, its more interesting than just artwork laid over the video.
Thanks for your input! I have done some acoustic covers like that in the past and will probably do some in the future. I like to do acapella covers that involve a lot of layering and mixing then the way I'd like to make the video for them involves a lot of filming and editing. I'm contemplating on trying do two videos a month giving me about a week to work on the music part and a week to work on the filming/editing part. That is a great idea for running short on time though. If I need a fill-in cover for a day that's something that would take significantly less time.

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Yeah, I really like to see the person doing the cover because more than just the voice I'm looking to see if the person singing makes me feel something. I'm more into the performance of it. I mean, it wouldn't be too bad if there weren't a video as long as you gave me something to look at, but idk. I guess it just depends kind of.[DOUBLEPOST=1518135824,1518135744][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, you seem so sweet and have such a sweet face. You should show it! ^_^ and you do theatre? Come on girl show that face! ^_^

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I personally prefer seeing the person who's singing it. Mainly so that it really feels like a cover and you're able to see how they react to the music and really get into playing an instrument/singing.

I'd say the best thing is to pre-record and schedule them for future weeks so that you're ahead enough in posting that you don't need to worry if you aren't able to record some days due to time constraints.

Reactions: CristyTango

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Yeah, I really like to see the person doing the cover because more than just the voice I'm looking to see if the person singing makes me feel something. I'm more into the performance of it. I mean, it wouldn't be too bad if there weren't a video as long as you gave me something to look at, but idk. I guess it just depends kind of.[DOUBLEPOST=1518135824,1518135744][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, you seem so sweet and have such a sweet face. You should show it! ^_^ and you do theatre? Come on girl show that face! ^_^
Thanks for the input and the compliment! I absolutely LOVE doing theatre! Just got home from rehearsal for a comedy. My character is crazy and plays piano and breaks into song, and this production not even a musical. Haha. I relate to her pretty well, come to think of it. I love performing on stage, it's a blast!

I feel I watch them more if I can see the singer singing or a good music video.
Thanks! :)

I personally prefer seeing the person who's singing it. Mainly so that it really feels like a cover and you're able to see how they react to the music and really get into playing an instrument/singing.

I'd say the best thing is to pre-record and schedule them for future weeks so that you're ahead enough in posting that you don't need to worry if you aren't able to record some days due to time constraints.
Thank you! I like the prerecording idea. It's not as busy right now, but will be very soon. Maybe in the next couple of weeks I can get a few recorded ahead of time to give me a good start before things get crazy.

Reetae27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Showing video of a song cover also helps with the authenticity aspect of it on YouTube too, since if I just saw some music overlayed with a static image, I might get the impression that maybe the person posting it wasn't really the author and was just copying it from somebody else -- hence why it was just an image. But if I see the instrument being played/etc., it helps show that your content is your own.

Reactions: Cassarilla

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Showing video of a song cover also helps with the authenticity aspect of it on YouTube too, since if I just saw some music overlayed with a static image, I might get the impression that maybe the person posting it wasn't really the author and was just copying it from somebody else -- hence why it was just an image. But if I see the instrument being played/etc., it helps show that your content is your own.
I hadn't even thought of that! But it's a great point. Thank you for this!

Reactions: Reetae27

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I thought about what you guys said. I've decided instead of the whole no video thing, I'm going to post mini covers when I get the time. They are short, recorded on my phone, and don't take as much time. I can start posting full covers this summer when things aren't so busy. Thanks for the advice.