Opening a new gaming YouTube channel among all the other million ones.. Is it possible?

TheKays

For a very long time, we have in one way or another been creating YouTube videos, gaming, lifestyle, music.. you name it! That's also how we met each other, through YouTube! Now we are going in 2+year strong and almost moving in together. Now, this year have been really great for us and our two common YouTube channels, one is about life, tech and tutorials in one way or another, and the other channel is our music channel where we actually been gathering million of views this year! <- This really blew our mind since even getting 1000 views was a real struggle. But with the right tactics and new thinking we managed to achieve what we never what we could achieve! We go by with the name 'TheKays'.

Both me and my girlfriend Klaudia started with producing gaming content in the past (GTA 5, Battlefield etc) but we both moved on from producing gaming content because we needed some variety!

But now I'm getting a really strong urge again to start creating gaming content but using all the new knowledge I have gathered by making all the other kind of content, such as editing, cinematography and all of those stuff! We have learned a lot by how keeping content with quality consistent is a big key to earning your subscribers trust and I do intend to do this now again with my new project, which is creating a new personal couple based gaming channel with superb audio and video quality. The main games for now is going to be Rocket League (LOVING THIS GAME!!) and Battlefield 1, but we will see how I will move on from there. Our new channel will be called 'TeamKays' - Because we are both a team in real life and in game!

A discussion question: Is it possible for a new 'YouTuber' to achieve "success" within the gaming part of YouTube when it is so populated today?

Thank you for reading this really long text post fellow stranger.

If you consistently provide quality content I would argue it is possible to succeed in every niche. And you can use the attention from the viewers of your old channels to kickstart the new one :)

Yes it is.
I see a ton of new gaming YouTubers grow every year. (Mostly in the norwegian market, since that's where I'm primarily making videos right now)
Example: One person I know started her channel in march this year, and she already have over 3000 subscribers.

As a relatively new gaming youtuber myself, I would say that it depends in part on what you would consider a "successful" channel. If you mean a channel that will grow consistently with consistent high quality uploads then I would say yes it is absolutely possible. If by a channel that will explode quickly I would say that it is unlikely. For reference, I've been at it for about 7 months and have gained 1600 subs and just over 110k views with consistent growth.

One of the keys in gaming videos, as far as I can tell, is to do something that not many others have done exceedingly well. For instance, there are millions of lets play videos out there on various games so that probably wouldn't do much for your channel by following suit.

Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Everything is possible, but you'll need to offer something a bit different from the herd. Good luck.

I hate when people say there's so many gaming channels that it's increasingly hard to gain an audience.

The reality is that sure, there might be a ton of gamers on the platform but YOU ARE NOT COMPETING WITH ALL OF THEM!!!!!! This is where people get this idea that you'll never grow but the reality is that your competition is a lot smaller than what it seems. I'll use my own channel as an example because I understand the content strategy of it (obviously lol).

My channel is one of the many gaming channels out there, sure. But I am tapping into the Battlefield community. On my channel, the main attraction is Battlefield 1. I make sure that every time someone clicks on my channel, they see a channel that was built from the ground up to improve their game in the Battlefield franchise and I purposely keep it that way so people will know me as a Battlefield channel. I could have picked Minecraft. I could have picked GTA. I could have picked COD. There are a lot of different communities I could have picked for my channel but I chose Battlefield. So because of this, my channel is never going to compete with Ali-A, from the COD community, and his channel will never compete with mine. Skydoesminecraft will not compete with me either nor will I, for example, because we make different types of content for different communities of different types of gamers. My channel is competing with the likes of Jackfrags and LevelCapGaming (both Battlefield youtubers), not people like Markiplier. Markiplier and I make different content and we have different target audiences.

My point is, when people say you have an extra low chance to make it as a gaming channel because of the size of the gaming community on youtube they simply don't know what they're talking about.

The same question applies all over the platform with the extreme saturation of content. The only question is, can you offer something different and unique not already out there. If yes, go for it. Yt is entertainment, if you can entertain, you will succeed.

Back