Onision's Video on How Youtubers are using their audience. And he makes some good points

JB Clem

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not a fan of Onision at all. But Onision made some good points about Youtubers only collaborating with other Youtubers if they can benefit from them. Like a Youtuber with over 2 million subscribers will not do a collaboration video with a small channel with only a few hundred subcribers, because it would mainly be a benefit for the smaller channels instead of their channels.

The video is on his OnisionSpeaks channel.

What are your thoughts about it?

Shane

YouTube Network Addict
Reaction score
Collaboration is one of the 3 main ways to grow a channel, to not use it correctly would be a stupid idea.

Anytime there's any sort of rant or issue or fallout on YouTube, onision seems to be involved

Last edited:
Reactions: NIP and markkaz

Ryan CG

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd never heard of Onison, but by looking at his thumbnails and titles I can tell that I also would not be a fan of his at all... so, didn't find the video you're talking about. But here are my thoughts on the subject anyway.

I think it depends on the fan base, actually. There is still a tangible benefit for popular people using "nobodies", especially for the tag/challenge/vlog sort. It shows off strong community connections and makes the Tuber seem like a real person, and if the person they're collabing with is fun but just happens to not be popular yet then it will still make for good material.

Reactions: Mikes

fibfib

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! ^_^
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
i love onision, hes not politically correct but doesnt need to be, hes so funny :)

Stef

STEF SZN
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah all these YouTube 'friendships' are purely beneficial. If I was 10-16 years old, I would find them entertaining but I'm a bit too cynical for that.

Reactions: Symph

Wreckless Eating

YouTube Space LA Alumni
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
One of the other things most people don't realize is that when your channel hits a certain size (100k+), you'll have an endless supply of channels that want to collaborate with you. Large channels usually do the logical thing-they prioritize those channels by sub and view count and work with them in that order. This is one of the issues with working with small channels. Even if a large channel wants to work with you, they'd have to bump another large channel from the collab list to do so. And that wouldn't be smart for channel growth or the relationship with the large channel that got bumped.

How do we run things? The same way. We work with small channels all the time, but collaborations with larger ones always take priority. We have a collab with a million sub channel that released about an hour ago. Do you really think it would have been a good idea to turn that channel down to work with one with less than 1000 subs?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I watched these two videos:
We're Fake & Are Using You
Onision Hates His Fans

He clearly states that he himself does things in order to survive and other channels do so as well. Channels collaborate in order to grow their fan base. He does videos that he hates but he has to because they are topical. He talks about other channels that do the same thing.

He says that YouTubers are characters. At the end of his video, he basically insults his audience. I don't know if that is part of the act or the symptom of a mental disorder.

To relate this to my channel, while I am friendly with my viewers. Sometimes, that conversation gives the viewer the impression that the relationship is deeper. All of a sudden, we're homies. No, we are just fellow collectors.

I do not like when creators play psychological games with their viewers. You will never see this happening on my channel.

Last edited:

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
Yeah even when greg makes "good points" I just can't take him seriously. And I don't think a larger channel should collab with smaller ones to just "help them out" but if you find a channel that's got a special flavor that they could provide to your video and you think it's super unique and complimentary, not contacting them because you're "out of their league" to me is... acting holier than thou. You don't owe small channels any favors, but if a channel feels it's too good to collab with small channels that would add an awesome element to their videos because they are small then yeah that's kinda messed up.[DOUBLEPOST=1406305538,1406305419][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok whenever I use my usual style of putting many of my phrases in quotations it just looks silly with that video right there in my sig lmao

Last edited:

PressRecord

Daily Vlogs on a Daily Basis!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Collaboration is about give and take. Primarily it is used to reach new audiences. But there are other ways to collaborate as well. To name a few, I have worked with Onision, EdBassmaster, Barely Political, SwiftKarateChop and SMPFilms and I have less than 10k subscribers right now. When I did the first of these collaborations I had 700 subscribers. It isn't all about the number of subscribers. It's about what do you have to offer them. Chances are I can edit better than a guy with 1 million subscribers. Or someone might be more musically talented. It makes sense to build these connections because it helps the larger YouTuber produce a better video.

If you email a large youtuber and say hi. can we make a collab? I'd really appreciate it. Chances are they won't respond. But if you send them something that they need and can use. Why would they say no?

Adam_Fitz

Dog Crazy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
even though subscriber numbers do play a part, i think the main focus should be on content

I understand if somebody doesn't really want to collab with somebody who they don't particularly enjoy watching and also has a lot less subscribers then them
but its a fact of Im too good for you then thats just wrong