Onision and a Peice of Chicken

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
You can still watch the original on my vlogs channel. I am NOT changing a damn thing, this has been one hell of a day.

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You actually have to get permission from the owner of the song (record label) to record your own version be it a parody or your version of the performance. That is not just me blurting out words, that is actual fact. Weird Al pays for the songs he uses up to a certain point. It´s just as with a cover, it is copyright infringement to use another persons song in a video or recording without getting permission for it. That means the melody and song structure as well not just the lyrics! People get away with doing parodies because the original owner of the song either likes the parody and/or it makes people interested in their original version of the song which they then look for and possibly buy.

Jonathan
Quote from Weird Al:

" Yes, I do get permission from the original songwriters. While the law supports my ability to parody without permission, it's very important to me to try to maintain the relationships I've built with artists and writers over the years. Thankfully, most artists seem genuinely flattered to get the "Weird Al treatment." Some groups (including Nirvana) have publicly stated that they didn't realize that they had really "made it" until they heard my parody! "

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
And no need to hide, I have x-ray vision and heat seeking bags of crap, I will find you.... LMAO

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Weird Al has actually been denied permission from James Blunt and Lady Gaga to parody their song so instead of releasing the song on his record(Out of respect) he releases them free of charge on his website because he doesn't need their permission.

JD´s World

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Quote from Weird Al:

" Yes, I do get permission from the original songwriters. While the law supports my ability to parody without permission, it's very important to me to try to maintain the relationships I've built with artists and writers over the years. Thankfully, most artists seem genuinely flattered to get the "Weird Al treatment." Some groups (including Nirvana) have publicly stated that they didn't realize that they had really "made it" until they heard my parody! "
Since that statement was made Copyright law has changed or he is not fully aware of the law. The law supports critique and ridicule yes, but not full on change without owner permission or else I could cover any song I wanted and just change some lyrics around and say it´s a parody (which with my current singing ability would not be far from the truth lol)

We have copyright laws for a reason, to protect our original content/creations...

But the trick is this! You can use the song under the fair use legislation if you are teaching it, educating about how it was made and reviewing/criticizing it. All other uses without permission and/or payment to the correct companies is against the copyright laws and you shall DIE lol

Jonathan
--- merged: Mar 24, 2012 2:02 AM ---
Weird Al has actually been denied permission from James Blunt and Lady Gaga to parody their song so instead of releasing the song on his record(Out of respect) he releases them free of charge on his website because he doesn't need their permission.
They could sue him for that and according to the legal President we have now they would win the case. Also I doubt respect had anything to do with his decision about not putting the songs on his record. You need permission from the song owner to overall record the song legally and you need a legal contract to earn money from using that song even though it has changed lyrics, it´s still the song structure and melody...

We are just going in circles here lol

Jonathan